Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jgundberg Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2011, 07:45 PM
    Why won't my 2 year old talk?
    My two year old daughter won't talk, and I'm worried. She has 3 sisters and a brother. I would think that she would catch on quicker. I don't understand. I am worried and going to have her hearing checked, just to make sure it isn't that. Ear tubes run in the family. If anyone has any info, please let me know.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Apr 15, 2011, 08:08 PM

Please DO NOT compaire your children to each other. They will grow up thinking that one of their siblings is better than the other or themselves.

All children are different, regardless of if they have siblings to model after or not they will talk when they are ready.

Have you spoken to his pediatrition about his speech? That is your first step
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 15, 2011, 09:32 PM

I assume your 4 other children are older than her, correct?

If this is the case, many times she doesn't have to talk because the others "do it" for her.

If she wants juice, make her say juice. If she wants milk, make her say milk. Don't just give it to her if she points at the refrigerator and grunts.

I had this problem with my youngest child when he was three as well. As soon as we stopped "speaking" for him, his vocabulary dramatically increased.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 15, 2011, 09:47 PM

Yes, please talk with her doctor about this. There may be a medical reason.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 15, 2011, 10:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jgundberg View Post
    I AM WORRIED I AM GOING TO HAVE HER HEARING CHECKED, JUST TO MAKE SURE THAT IT ISN'T THAT. EAR TUBES RUN IN THE FAMILY.
    I'm sorry, I missed the part about the tubes running in the family when I first read your post. Please turn your caps off when you type so that your posting is easier to read.

Now, yes, having your child tested is a necessity. If there turns out that there is nothing wrong with her hearing, it may just because she doesn't have to talk because her siblings, and yourself, have gotten used to all of her cues (for lack of a better word) for what she wants.
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2011, 01:37 AM

If and after her hearing checks out OK, taking a little time everyday to sit with her to read a story or sing songs will help, repetition is the order of the day.

Give her the answer then ask the question, example, the cow says moo, what does the cow say?

Choose stories where you can make sounds and again repeat the stories.

Count steps, either walking or up stairs, just to ten to start, singing A B C over and over.

Get your older childern involved.

I had two at one time aged 10 and 11 with two small ones, the older ones would teach the younger ones 2 and for the answers to general knowledge questions, example ,what's the capital of france, and repeating the question and answer over and over, until the younger ones could answer the questions, it became a party trick, I had a three year old who could tell you 3 rivers in ireland, but could not hold a pencil... its was the clapping and attention she received when she attempted an answer, the fanfare!

There are also children's programmes that are repeated throughout the day that will help, but nothing will replace the one to one attention.

Going around your house with her, asking her questions, example, point to a clock and ask what that, say, it's a clock, what does the clock say tick tock, keep repeating the same thing and give her time to respond, it takes time for her brain to process the new information but as you keep repeating it on a daily basics she will make the connection, in no time at all she'll be a little chatterbox.
    natasha1234 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2011, 06:33 AM

Hello. My little man who just turned 2 on the 2nd April. Is was going thou speech therophy I was really worried lik you seemed I have an older boy to who is 5 & I went to a class that ran for a few weeks an they teach you lots to do with them, for example... PLAY TIME- make sure your child leads and your not let him talk his way an than you say * duck is that a duck oh duck says quack quack oh that duck is in the water is that a duck! Kind of thing and you repeat it so many time about that one picture in the book etc. same with meal time and antyhin you normaly do. You will prob find he says things in his owns wrds lik will talk to himself when playing and you won't notice lik I did & same with singing . My boy go's to day care and they sing twinkle twinkle and he new it I just didn't relise he was singing it until the speech lady pionted it out. He only say little things lik the a e I o u kind of stuff to be a wrd. You need to have one on one time with him. And you help the play a long let him take you to what he wants to play not you wanting to do somehtin for him :) but it wrked Good for me!
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2011, 02:10 PM

When you say she "won't talk" does this mean she hasn't talked at all, or that she isn't saying as many words, or sounds for words, as you would have expected? How does she communicate with you and the family? Does she try to mimic sounds? Does she respond when you talk to her? Can she follow simple commands... bring me the ball, for example?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

15 year old dating a 20 yearold? [ 21 Answers ]

Okay so this is going to be a little long.. my boyfriend and I have been dating for 2 and a half monthes now, but we were kind of together for a month and a half before he legit asked me out.. I'm fifteen, he was ninteen, he just turned twenty this past Tuesday, I will be sixteen on valentines day....

My 27 yearold son will not speak to me? [ 2 Answers ]

My 27 yearold son who is stationed in Germany,believes an untruth that my daughter told him about me. He has not spoken to me in 2 years. He will not call me, nor email me when I send him messages. He told me a while back that I needed to apoligize to my daughter. I did for what he thinks I said to...

17 yearold drug possession [ 4 Answers ]

Would a 17yearold get jail time for drug possession ? If so, how long about? Could they get away with probation? What kind of probation rules would they have to follow? Thank you.

I want my 16 yearold son to be a part of my life [ 5 Answers ]

Please don't respond anymore I'm on wrong site as I live in UK. Thanks to all those who did though

View more questions Search