Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tmeyer01 Posts: 136, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2011, 10:56 AM
    Kenmore electric dryer keeps stopping
    The motor burned out on my Kenmore electric dryer a few months ago so I replaced it. In the process, I burned out the thermostat which I then replaced. It worked great for a couple months but apparently it was the wrong one because it actually melted the wires around the thermostat. I have since replaced it with another new one but now the dryer just stops usually 5-15 minutes after starting it. I can start it right away again but usually have to do this once or twice to finish a complete dryer cycle. The airflow is great, the element heats fine, the motor and drum are turning well and I have oiled them again as well. I have even tried bypassing the high limit thermostat in question by connecting the wires directly to each other but it still turned off. Not the safest thing to do but now I know that is not the problem. Any ideas?
    JimGu Posts: 92, Reputation: 4

Apr 15, 2011, 12:18 PM
    We need a model number so we know what kind of controls we're dealing with.

Apr 15, 2011, 12:53 PM
    Kenmore
    Model 110.66822694
    Serial MJ2060676
    JimGu Posts: 92, Reputation: 4

Apr 15, 2011, 01:16 PM
    tmeyer01. Thanks for getting back with that model number so promptly. First I would check for the obvious. Is the dryer cord firmly attached at the terminal block or might vibration break one of the connections? I have found that quite a bit in the past. Then be sure that the connections on the motor are tight. If these all check out, I would suspect the timer contacts are going bad, overheating and dropping the connection. Timers on these Whirlpool made Kenmores are kind of notorious.
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2011, 08:27 PM
    How clean is it? That's the first thing I check when a drier stops as this causes fires and all kinds of problems from caked on dirt. DrTom4444
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2011, 09:39 PM
    Did you clean the blower and take apart all duct work? It sounds like you have an air restriction due to dirt and lint buildup. It's easy to miss something if you did not take it totally apart. DrTom4444

Apr 18, 2011, 07:13 PM
    Yes, I have taken the entire dryer apart several times. The entire body and duct work. I had to when I replaced the motor. It has all been cleaned. There are no air restrictions but still stops.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore dryer stopping [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore dryer that stops before the time is through. Does it just sound like a dirty or broken timer or can there be another cause? If I hit the start button, it continues and then stops again after a while. There is no pattern to the amount of time before it shuts off. Thanks in advance.

Does a Sears Kenmore 90 gas dryer have the same fuses as an electric dryer? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I have a sears kenmore 90 series gas dryer. And I was wondering if it has the same kind of fuses as an electric dryer? Because everything seems to work but it does not heat. And I would like to know if it has the same fuses as an electric dryer?

Kenmore electric dryer [ 3 Answers ]

My kenmore electric dryer 84072 does not heat, where are the fuses located in the dryer

Kenmore electric dryer [ 1 Answers ]

My dryer will not come on I replaced the push start switch. And dryer is still not coming on

View more questions Search