Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    raheem Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2007, 05:49 AM
    Development of Islam in USA
    What events and figures have shaped the development of Islam in the United States?
    xayra Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Feb 15, 2007, 11:56 PM
    The reason why this particular question "What events and figures have shaped the development of Islam in the United States" was posed is because this person is obviously taking the same class as I am which is Religions of the World.

This is the answer to the original question from the information that I have gathered so far.
    1776- few Muslims in the U.S
    18th century- Ayuba Suleiman Diallo (1701-1773) also known as Job ben Solomon, Thomas Bluett's Some Memories of the Life of Job
    19th century-
    1807- Umar Ibn Said- also known as Uncle Moreau and Prince Omeroh -Muslim scholar- captured during a military conflict enslaved and taken across the Atlantic Ocean to the United States. Wrote fourteen manuscripts and an autobiography (1831). Further coverage of Omar's writings within the context of Slave Narratives and Muslim Slave Narratives can be found in Five Classic Muslim Slave Narratives by Muhammed Al-Ahari.
    1888- Alexander Russell Web- (1846-1916)- author Islam in America and two booklets about the Armenian and Turkish Wars from a Muslim point of view: The Armenian Troubles and Where the Responsibility Lies and A Few Facts About Turkey Under the Rule of Abdul Hamid II.started the organ of the American Muslim Propagation Movement called Moslem World. Main representative for Islam at the 1893 World Parliament of Religions in Chicago. He started study circles, i.e. in Chicago, Washington, D.C. Newark, Manhattan, Kansas City, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and Cleveland. They were named Mecca Study Circle No. I (NYC), Koran Study Circle, Capital Study Circle No. 4, etc. He was appointed the Honorary Turkish Consul in New York by Sultan Abdul Hamid II.
    1893- Muslim migration to the U.S
    20th Century
    1907- Immigrants from Poland, Russia, and Lithuania found the first Muslim organization in New York City
    1913 Noble Drew Ali (1886–1929) Moorish Science Temple of America, teaching the
    faith to African–Americans
    1915- The first mosque, founded by Albanian Muslims is established in an older building that was not built to be a mosque.
    1920- Ahmadiyyah Movement from India, which was active in publishing tracts and English translations of the Qur'an and in helping African–American converts learn Arabic.
    Shaykh Daoud Ahmed Faisal- Islamic Mission of America- New York City- literature including Sahabiyat, a Muslim journal for women
    Shaykh Daoud' s wife, “Mother” Khadijah Faisal- president of the Muslim Ladies Cultural Society
    1930-Wallace D. Fard - Detroit - preaching black nationalism and Islamic faith. Fard founded the Nation of Islam there in the same year.
    1934-Elijah Muhammad, (1897-1975) African–Americans became “Black Muslims,” calling themselves the Nation of Islam.
    1935 The first building built specifically to be a mosque is established in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.
    1950- Ascendency of Nation of Islam
    1956- Arrival of more than one million Muslims in the United States after the American immigration laws were reformed
    1962- Darul Islam, founded in Brooklyn, New York- largest and most influential community of African-American Sunni Muslims. Darul Islam is a private decentralized community, which did not allow immigrants in its midst until the mid-1970s.
    1960's- Hanafi Madhhab Center, founded by Hammad Abdul Khalis- African-American Sunni group that made headlines in the 1970s because of its conversion of the basketball star, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, and the assassination of Khalis' family in their Washington D.C. headquarters.

1964- Malcolm X- Muslim Mosque, Inc. in New York City
    1975- Warith Deen Muhammad- son of Elijah Muhammad - Supreme Minister of the Nation of Islam after his father's death- mandated sweeping changes called the “Second Resurrection” of African Americans- refuted the Nation of Islam's racial-separatist teachings, community's mission was directed not only at black Americans, but at the entire American environment, 1976- renamed the Nation of Islam the “World Community of Al-Islam in the West” 1980- renamed to “American Muslim Mission” 1990-renamed to Muslim American Community”. Warith Deen Mohammed's positive relationships with immigrant Muslims, the world of Islam, and the American government are important developments in the history of mainstream Islam in the United States. Cassius Clay- Muhammand Ali- World Heavyweight Boxing Championship (3 times) Career 1960-1980. Converted to Sunni Islam in 1975. Following his ascension to champion, he also became famous for other reasons: He revealed that he was a member of the Nation of Islam (often called the Black Muslims at the time) and Malcolm X provided Clay with the name Cassius X. March 6, 1964, Malcolm X took Clay on a guided tour of the United Nations building (for a second time). Malcolm X announced that Clay would be granted his "X." That same night, Elijah Muhammad recorded a statement over the phone to be played over the radio that Clay would be renamed Muhammad (one who is worthy of praise) Ali (fourth rightly guided caliph). This caused much controversy in the United States.

Minister Louis Farrakhan, current leader of the Nation of Islam- organized the Million Man March in 1995
    sovaira Posts: 271, Reputation: 10

Oct 12, 2007, 10:36 AM
    I think all the religion and nationalities should work in collaboration with each other for a better country.

Well there might be many of SHAPES ? THAT might have given rise to Islam in USA.

Regrets only.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 22, 2009, 04:14 AM

I have cleaned up responses to, and a post I felt was out of line on this board.

We will respect the faith of each, esp on their own boards.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Significant figures [ 5 Answers ]

In significant figures how is last digit of measiremsnt usually determinde

Red elipse shaped bumps on neck and chest and some on stomach [ 1 Answers ]

I have these red elipse shaped bumps on my neck, chest and stomach and I can't figure out what they are. . HELP.

United states constituition [ 1 Answers ]

Name the four ways in which the United States COnstituition has been developed since 1 789 and give an example of each.

United States Coming Foreclosure Soon! [ 1 Answers ]

Congressman Ron Paul Speaks the Truth (again) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- According to Republican Congressman Ron Paul: "Congress reacted to Katrina in the expected irresponsible manner. It immediately appropriated over $60 billion with...

View more questions Search