Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mkssalsa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2007, 04:44 AM
    Military married taxes
    My husband and I are both in the military, and were married in 2006. I lived and worked in VA for the year but am a NV resident. He lived and worked in MO and HI, and is a KS resident. We bought a condo in HI where he is stationed in 2006 so now we own a home in a state that neither of us is a resident of. We both deployed in the summer/fall of 2006 and are still both deployed. Can we both still file state taxes for our respective states of residency or does one of us have to change residency to the other's state in order to file jointly? Can we file our federal return jointly even though we didn't live in the same state? Help, our situation is extremely confusing!
    Alexander the great Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2007, 05:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mkssalsa
    My husband and I are both in the military, and were married in 2006. I lived and worked in VA for the year but am a NV resident. He lived and worked in MO and HI, and is a KS resident. We bought a condo in HI where he is stationed in 2006 so now we own a home in a state that neither of us is a resident of. We both deployed in the summer/fall of 2006 and are still both deployed. Can we both still file state taxes for our respective states of residency or does one of us have to change residency to the other's state in order to file jointly? Can we file our federal return jointly even though we didn't live in the same state? Help, our situation is extremely confusing!
    I can send you the tax state guide but only through military email... [email protected]
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 24, 2007, 11:23 AM
    Okay, I need some more information.

It is possible that, by buying the condoi in Hawaii, you both made yourselves Hawaii residents. In Georgia, there is a provision in the real estate laws that is called the Homestead Exemption. It can reduce your real estate taxes on your home by up to 50%. However, if you apply for the Homestead Exemption, by law you have declared that you are Georgia residents and are therefore subject to Georgia income taxes. It is a frequent mistake made by military personnel who are stationed in Georgia. Something similar MAY have happened in Hawaii.

If not, your husband probably needs to file a Kansas state tax return. I would have to check the Kansas tax laws to determine if he actually owes any taxes. His deployed status MAY make him exempt from the state taxes. Each state is different.

As for the federal return, yes, you CAN file jointly. Your physical location is irrelevant.

Now, are you subject to Hawaii state income taxes? Probably NOT (unless you inadvertently made yourselves Hawaii residents as noted above).

However, since you are both deployed, what are doing with the condo?

If you are renting it, then you WOULD have to file a Hawaii tax return to report the rental income. It's likely you would owe NO state income taxes, as the mortgage interest plus expenses plus depreciation would probably completely offset any profit from the rent, but that does not relieve you from the filing requirement. The rental portion would also be reported on your joint federal return and on your husband's Kansas return.

If you need professional help, I am available. I am a retired Army LTC, so I know how to handle military tax issues. If you are interested, you can contact me at [email protected].

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

NYC Taxes married filing [ 3 Answers ]

Hope someone can help. I just received my tax returns from my accountant and he claims my wife and I owe ~$4000 to NYS. Combined we made roughly $165,000 split evenly between us both. Scenario: I lived in NJ last year until November after my wedding-my wife in NY the entire year. I worked...

Military bonus Taxes [ 5 Answers ]

Hey You, Getting ready to reenlist in the navy for around 21k. I claim PA residency s I won't pay state taxes but I was wondering how much would be taken for federal tax. And how much I could be looking to get back on my tax return for the year after I reenlist. Thanks for any help. I am married...

Married NY NJ taxes [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Currently I work in NJ and rent in NYC, while my wife works in NY. I have been having NY, NYC and NJ tax withheld from my paycheck. I was thinking of buying or renting a small place in NJ and was wondering how it would affect the tax situation. 1) If I buy or rent in NJ, while continuing to...

Taxes for married filing OPT(self), F1(wife) [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am a resident of India, I have been in the US from Aug 2004. My wife has been in the US since Aug 2005. I just finished my Masters and am working full time in OPT status. My wife is still in F1 status. Should my employer cut Social Security and Medicare taxes? We wanted to file in...

View more questions Search