Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sgtusmc Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2011, 05:45 PM
    I am the co-signer on a car loan in NYS can I register the vehicle?
    I am the co-signer on a car loan in NYS can I register the vehicle
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2011, 05:47 PM

How is title held? Being a co-signer does NOT give you ownership.

Apr 14, 2011, 05:49 PM
    It is still held by the lien holder

Apr 14, 2011, 05:52 PM
    I am not sure but the bank told me I could just go to DMV and have the vehicle registered in my name. The person I signed for no longer wants the vehicle and if I am going to be resposible for the loan I would much rather trade the vehicle in for a newer vehicle.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 14, 2011, 05:55 PM

The lien holder is not the owner. The owner has to sign over title to you subject to the lien holder's agreement. Then you can trad it in.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 14, 2011, 08:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtusmc View Post
    ... I would much rather trade the vehicle in for a newer vehicle.
    Then do that. Bring the vehicle to the dealer and let the dealer take care of the registration issues. You will want your new trade-in registered in your name, not the one you co-signed on. Dealers do that all the time, so they should know how to handle the paperwork.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 15, 2011, 03:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    Then do that. Bring the vehicle to the dealer and let the dealer take care of the registration issues. You will want your new trade-in registered in your name, not the one you co-signed on. Dealers do that all the time, so they should know how to handle the paperwork.
    The owner f record will still need to sign over the title back to the dealer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am a Registered CPA in NYS do I have to register as tax preparer in NYS [ 1 Answers ]

Registered CPA in New York Does new law to register as tax preparer in New York apply

As the co-signer making payments On car loan.What are my rights? [ 0 Answers ]

I co-signed for my ex car 3yrs ago. She left the state w/ the car and is refusing to make the payments,also she is in bankruptcy. I am making the payments what can I do to get the car from her?

Student car loan with no co signer [ 5 Answers ]

So I'm a junior in college the car I have been driving for years finally made its last ride I really need to get a new car so that I can work and go to school. I have no family that can help me with a cosign and I only make about 1000$ a month cause I'm working my way through school I have the...

Co Signer of Car Loan Gone Bad [ 1 Answers ]

Ok so I co-signed for my ex boyfriend over 5 years ago. When we broke up only 3 months after I co signed we agreed to take our cars into our own name. I did this and waited about 6 months before contacting him to see if he was going to take care of this matter. He never did take care of the...

Co-signer on Car Loan and Account Garnished [ 4 Answers ]

My husband and I have just had our joint account garnished/levey yesterday and all the bank would give us was a phone number that was only in operation from 8-5pm. They would not tell us any details only that the account had been garnished. Today we have found out that is for collection of a...

View more questions Search