Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ingrasma Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2011, 11:25 AM
    Dual Status Alien - IRS Question.
    I am a Canadian citizen returning to Canada after working for 3 years in the US on a TN Visa. I left the US last year, on May 31st, 2010 -- and permanently returned to Canada (i.e. no ties to US remain). I earned income in the US during Jan - May 31, 2010. I did not earn any further income for the remainder of the year (neither US or US related nor Canadian income). I understand I must file in the US as a Dual Status taxpayer, and according to the IRS website, I will file a 1040NR with "Dual Status Return" written across the top and attach a 1040 form with "Dual Status Statement" across the top. I qualify for the connection to a foreign country classification and therefore am not considered a resident alient for the entire year of 2010. I am also very aware of all the deductions and exemptions rules for dual tax files, but given my situation, I'm confused as to which form, the 1040NR or 1040 I am supposed to completely fill out. Given they my only income for 2010 is from when I was living and working in the US during Jan - May 31 - both forms will reflect identical figures. What is the purpose of filing both forms - I don't understand. Why can't I just file a 1040 and include the income I earned while living in the US until May 31st when I severed ties to the US and returned to Canada and became a Canadian tax resident filer. Especially, given that had no income post May 31, 2011. Any guidance would be useful. Do I complete both the 1040 and 1040NR forms which show identical figures? Thanks.
    z.ggg Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2011, 12:22 PM
    Hi,
    I'm not an expert but was wondering why would you choose in your last year of residency to be Dual status? I would think that your tax return would be higher if you choose to be a resident until 12/31.
    ingrasma Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2011, 12:28 PM
    I just releazed I failed to mention that I earned one month of income in Canada when I started my new job here on December 1, 2010. So, I need to file as dual status with US residency ending on May 31st. Then I file a clean Canadian tax filing for the 1 month of income earned in Canada. Either way, with no further US income post my May 31st departure, the 1040 and 1040NR give the same refund for me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F1 to H1B Dual Status Alien Tax Question [ 212 Answers ]

I am on H1B from June 1, 2004. I was on F1 until May 31, 2004 on OPT. I cleared the substantial presence test on H1 visa and stayed around 189 days in USA on H1 visa. While I was on my OPT (F1) I was self employed and received a 1099 MISC (non-employee compensastion). I guess I am a Dual -Status...

Dual-status alien choosing to be treated as resident alien [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I hope I can get some advice here. I am married, and both me and my wife live in US. I used to be J-1 student, and she used to be J-2 dependent. On January 14, 2010 my status in US was changed from J-1 to H-1B, and her's was changed from J-2 to H-4. I understand we are both now resident...

Dual-status alien or alien resident income tax return [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am getting ready to prepare our 2009 tax returns and am not sure what to do. I am a US citizen. My husband is a permanent resident. He arrived in the US from Italy in February 2009 on a K-1 visa. We married in March and he got his green card in July 2009. My husband worked in Italy...

Dual status alien or resident alien for tax purposes? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I come from Poland, in September, 15 th. 2006 I came to the USA on J1 visa (scholar), and I have been on it ever since. Can I fill tax refund for 2008 as a resident alien (1040) or I am rather considered as dual status alien? Can I fill the taxes jointly with my wife she came with me and...

F1 to H1B Dual Status Alien Tax Question [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Atlanta Tax Expert, I was student in US since 2000 and in the middle of 2005 (end of Jun) I passed the substantial presence. I graduated by October and since then I am on H1-B. My wife is an international student holding F-1 visa but she does not pass the substantial presence criterion. I had...

View more questions Search