Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    milliplaster Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2011, 04:24 PM
    Can my Ex-Fianc's father replace me as a co-signer on her loans
    I was engages for the past couple of years, and during that time I co-signed a couple loans with my now ex-fiancé who does not have very good credit. Now that we're separated, I'm of course regretting this decision and wondering what my options are. I understand my obligation and I'm pretty sure she can't refinance. However, I'm wondering if her father can perhaps replace me on these loans, as I believe he's doing fine financially. I want to make sure this is even in the realm of possibility before I suggest it. It seems like it should be, but honestly I don't know. Thanks for any help or advice.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2011, 04:33 PM

Hello m:

The bank won't do it unless the loan is refinanced.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 13, 2011, 06:42 PM

As excon said, its unlikely the lender will do it. But it doesn't hurt to ask. As long as they are replacing with a quality guarantor they might consider it.

As an alternative, the father might enter into a contract with you to guarantee the loans if she defaults. Not sure why he would agree to it, but...
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 13, 2011, 06:44 PM

It is very unlikely the bank would do it. But you can ask,

Apr 14, 2011, 12:10 PM
    Can my ex-fiance consolodates her debt, can I be removed as cosigner from some loans?
    I asked a similar question the other day, but now I'm exploring my other options. I was engages for the past couple of years, and during that time I co-signed a couple loans with my now ex-fiance who does not have very good credit. Now that we're separated, I'm of course regretting this decision and wondering what my options are. We're still on good terms with each other, and she's open to ideas for solving this problem.

Earlier I asked if her father could take my place as a cosigner. It seems that that's unlikely. However, If she consolidated her debts with another loan, I believe I would be no longer liable, right? If they needed a cosigner, then couldn't her father cosign the new loan?

Again, I'm just trying to figure out my options. Thanks for any advice.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2011, 12:21 PM

On a refinance the old loan is technically paid off and a new obligation is created. So any new refinance won't have you as a co-signer if she managed to pull it off.

However... she likely won't do that, because right now if she doesn't pay... they WILL make you pay for it. And if her credit is bad, they might refuse to refinance it. Loans are a LOT harder to get today than they were a few years ago.

Unfortunately its not an "OPTION" for you... because you have zero control over it. It's a possible scenario that can get you out of the obligation you now rightly recognize as having been a world class bad decision.

Apr 14, 2011, 01:04 PM
    Comment on smoothy's post
    Well, as I mentioned, we're on good terms and we're trying to figure out ways to get me off the loans without messing her up too bad.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 14, 2011, 04:27 PM

First, I merged your threads. Please don't start multiple threads over the same issue. You can add followups using the Answer options at the bottom of the page (not Comments).

As has been said, you have no control over this. IF she can get the debts refinanced, then the loans you are responsible for will be satisfied and your obligation ends.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I still get government student loans while I have several loans in deferment? [ 0 Answers ]

Hi there! Wasn't sure where to post this. I'm 22, and I have 3 student loans, one of them is with Direct Loan, the US Dept. of Ed, and 2 more with Wells Fargo. All 3 of these loans were past due 100 to 145 days. I recently had them all deferred due to economic hardship (they are NOT in default)....

Wanted signer, paid via their website. Still need a signer if they accepted payment? [ 1 Answers ]

My landlord wanted a cosigner, but I paid rent via their website. Do I still need a signer if they accepted payment? Texas

Student loans without co-signer [ 2 Answers ]

I am a mother of a 2nd year undergraduate and she is trying to get a student loan without a co-signer. She is a very good student and unfortunately we can't co-sign for her. Anyone know of a bank that will approve a student loan without a co-signer?

View more questions Search