Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gpollock Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2011, 12:59 PM
    Private seller-Gave deposit to hold car and he gave away!
    My son and I went to a private seller to purchase a jeep cherokee. I gave him $220.00 as a deposit to hold the jeep for two weeks for the remainder of the money. He had no problem with this. He signed a paper saying he received the deposit . I came hoome today to find out that he had given it away to his cousin and wants to give me back the deposit. Is there anything I can do?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 13, 2011, 02:04 PM

Not much can be done. The car is now in the hands of someone else who did you no wrong. The seller has not damaged you so a suit is unlikely.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 13, 2011, 07:08 PM

There is of course a chance, if you find a buy another similar vechile at a higher price, you could sue for the difference,

The local court may not may not allow it, but that is about the only law suit possible
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 13, 2011, 07:19 PM

I have dealt with this issue in court. Failure to sell you something does not create damage, in court. My advice is to be glad you got your deposit and walk away

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I gave my security deposit but can't move in now, can I get it back? [ 3 Answers ]

I ended up giving the owner of a town house a security deposit as it said was required in his ad, I gave it to him early as I was under the assumption, I was going to get my down deposit from my current landlord. Unfortunately because I did not give him 30 days notice he decided not to give me my...

I gave buyer healthy pup, she returned I gave mony back minus deposit is this right [ 15 Answers ]

A buyer brought a health puppy from me, after only 24 hours she asked if she could return puppy as it was unwell, I agreed she could return puppy, buyer then asked for money back, I agreed but said the deposit is non refundable, as I provided her with a health pup, and when pup was returned the...

Put Down Deposit - Gave apt. To someone else! [ 1 Answers ]

Myself and two roomates just found our dream apt in NYC. We met with the realtor who had me pay $50 for a credit check and had us pay the full deposit for the apt of $1,700. I asked her if there was ANY possible way we would not get this apartment because we wanted to make sure it was safe to end...

Private deal with Friend she gave no paper work to sell [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and I bought a modular home in 1999 privately from a friend's mom and was given a photocopy of a BOS for $1 and told that this would do. What did we know we did not use lawyers and they were friends. Her mother died and they moved to Florida. We live in NY now we want to sell and get...

Gave security deposit.rented to someone else [ 2 Answers ]

I gave the landlord money for house... the day I was suppose to pick up keys he said he rented to someone else. Is this legal, isn't it a binding contract once money is exchanged? I have to be out by Friday no place to go with my 2 children 6y and 1 month old, what can I do?

View more questions Search