Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bregvica92 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2011, 11:48 AM
    I live in state with no state tax,but my husband work in state with state tax.How to
    I live in state of WA and I do not have state tax,but my husband move for work in KY in October 2010 and that state has state tax.We are filing federal tax as married filing jointly but I do not know how to file for KY state tax. Please,help. Thank you
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 13, 2011, 12:02 PM

Since your husband lives and works in KY he must pay KY state income tax. For 2010 he files a part-year resident return (form 740-NP), and pays taxes to KY on his income from October through December. He can file in KY as Married Filing Separately even though you filed jointly for your federal return. That way he pays taxes on his KY soiurce income, but does not report your WA based income to KY.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Driver's license from a state, live in another state, work in a different one [ 8 Answers ]

I just moved from MI to NYC but I will start work in NJ. Is the lease that I started for a place in NYC enough to prove my NY residency? Or do I have to also change my driver's license (which currently is from MI)? I am basically trying to figure out how to avoid having MI taxes still deducted...

Do I have to have held out for a state I work in in if the state I live in has no sta [ 1 Answers ]

I work 6 months in AZ, I live in TN. Do I need to az state taxes held out of my pay?

Owe state taxes in another state don't work in that state, can they garnish wages. [ 6 Answers ]

I owe back taxes in state of Maryland but work in virginia. Can Maryland garnish wages in viriginia.

Primary Residence - live/work in one state while family lives in another state [ 1 Answers ]

I jointly own a home in NY with my wife and this is our primary residence today. My wife is a home maker and does not go out for work. Recently I got a job with a company in Massachussettes. We decided to buy a condo near work in Massachussettes where I would live 4 days a week and come home to my...

2 states: Can I credit state tax of one state to other state [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2 W-2. One from job in Mass. Mass state tax is withheld in that W-2. Then I moved to NC and got a new job in NC. NC state tax is withheld in this second jobs W-2. Both W-2 only have state tax withheld from their corresponding states. So can I credit taxes of one state to another and...

View more questions Search