Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    z.ggg Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2011, 03:24 PM
    For the last year of residency is Dual staus a choice?
    We came to GA in 2005 to work with L visa, stayed for 4.5 years and in Sep.1, 2010 moved to Europe (not the country we were born in), in 2007 we bought a house in the US and as of Sep. 1,2010 rented it.

The question is what do we do with our 2010 tax return?

One CPA says that the default is that we are residents for the entire year even though we've left in Sep, so we can file jointly and also need to report our revenues from Europe.

The other CPA says that since we're not US citizens the question is what was our visa type by 12/31/10? If you are on B visa then you are non resident in the last day of the year. If during the year you were resident then you are a dual status resident. From 1/1/10 until Sep 1st. You are a resident filing a 1040. From the day you left until the end of the year, you are non resident and should file 1040NR. There are no options here or elections we could take, This treatment is mandatory.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 13, 2011, 10:45 AM
    The first CPA is correct. Your default position is that you are resident through the end of the year.

You also need to submit a Residency Termination Statement with your 2010 return to terminate your residency status in the eyes of the IRS. This is important because you will have to file a Schedule E with Form 1040NR in future yeara to report the rental income.

Without the submission of the Residency Termination Statement, the IRS will query you about ALL world-wide income because they will STILL consider you to be a resident alien.

If you need professional help filing your return, email me at [email protected] or [email protected].
    z.ggg Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2011, 09:56 AM
    Comment on AtlantaTaxExpert's post
    Atlanta rocks! Thanks for the quick and clear reply.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 14, 2011, 11:35 AM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Federal income tax - first year choice of residency [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am on L1 visa and came to USA from India with my wife and kid on 10 oct 2010. For income tax filing for 2010 I am taking the first year choice of residency. Hence I have filed an extension and when I complete 183 days in USA, I will file my returns (on 3 July 2011). I am filing as married...

I am a 20 year old student. Is there a way to get dual residency? [ 1 Answers ]

I am a 20 year old student from Oklahoma. I just moved to Florida I will be going to school here. I am wanting to get residency in both states. I know Florida does not have income tax but that not why. I am wanting to get residency to instate tuition purposes in both states in case I change my mind...

Dual status - last year of residency [ 2 Answers ]

I was on L-1 visa from 2007 and left U.S. for my home country in April 2009. I understand that I need to file dual status return 1) would the return be 1040NR with 1040 as the statement. 2) Would the income on 1040NR return be only the wages I earned until apr 2009? 3) would the incomes on...

1 year choice and Dual status [ 5 Answers ]

I worked under OPT (F1) from Jan 07 until May 07. Then came back to the US as H1B in October 07 and never left the US and will meet the substantial presence test in 08 (currently on extension period). I'm planning elect the 1 year choice, how do I file my taxes for 2007? Can I file dual-status...

Dual Status or First Year Choice? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was on F1 from Jan 2006 - March 2006, then OPT from March 2006 - Sep 2006. Started working on OPT in Apr 2006 and got my H1 from Oct 2006. I got married in Dec 2006, but my wife joined me in USA on Jan 2007 from India. She had her H1 stamped in India in Nov 2006, and her I94 is dated...

View more questions Search