Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ista0143 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2011, 12:44 PM
    Taxes taken from 401k early withdrawl
    Hi
    If I were to take a $45000 withdrawl from an IRA (rolled from work 401k due to job loss) could I at the time of withdrawl pay the 20% tax and the 10% penalty rather than waiting for when I file my taxes.
    Thanks
    Kris
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 12, 2011, 12:52 PM

The actual tax due can't be determined until you file your taxes at the end of the year and figure out what tax bracket you're in. So the 20% withholding is merely a down payment against your future tax bill. But if you think 20% is a good number, and want to add another 10% to cover the penalty I suggest you ask your IRA custodian whether they can withhold 30% rather than the usual 20%. If they can't do that for you, one option would be when you receive the distribution to immediately send 10% of the distribution amount ($4500) to the IRS as an estimated tax payment. That way you won't accidentally spend it and come up short next April.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Early withdrawal from 401K estimated taxes owed [ 2 Answers ]

I took an early withdrawl from my 401k and I want to estimate the taxes that I will owe. I know there is the standard 20%. A 10% penalty and 10% for taxes. Am I correct and saying that I have to add that withdrawl as income and then check to see what tax bracket I will fall in. For example...

Taxes on early withdrawal from 401K [ 1 Answers ]

Are there any exemptions from tax, or reductions of tax rate for early withdrawl from 401K?

401K early withdrawal [ 8 Answers ]

I am in debt and must get a new job to stay out of major problems to tap the 401k account. I have a healthy 401k at $112,000 and can't take a loan from it. Talked to the plan administrator alread. They only loan money I can take on my plan is what I put in individually which at this point is...

401k early withdrawal [ 4 Answers ]

The plant that I currently work at is closing down. I have a 401(k) that currently has $16,000 in it. I am 48 years old. What kind of penalties am I looking at if I pull all the money out when the plant closes? Approximately how much in taxes will I be paying at the end of the year? I have made...

View more questions Search