Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Caineslayer Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2011, 07:38 AM
    1099 contractor tax question
    Hi there,

I started working as an independent contractor last November and never thought
    Of the fact that being a 1099 contractor would mean different tax obligations.
    I received one paycheck for this totaling 1980 in December and was sent a 1099-Misc
    For this.
    I didn't know about estimated payments will just a while ago and now I guess I'll be
    Hit with a double penalty for not filing and not paying my state and federal taxes.
    I'm just very confused how to compute the 1099 income along with some money I earned
    Earlier in the year as an employee working for my college. Furthermore, what forms
    Would I have to file for the 1099 for last year, and the estimated payments quarterly
    For this year?

Apr 12, 2011, 07:48 AM
    I just wanted to add some more details to clarify my situation:
    - I was a full time student from August 2005 to June 2010
    - My actual visa for entering the country expired, but I am on OPT status
    Until August of this year.

So some further questions would be:
    - am I still exempt from FICA or self employment taxes as I am under an F-1 status?
    - I was going to file just a 1040, but should I be filing a 1040 NR instead?(I have
    Been present in the US for all of the last year)

I just want to say thanks in advance for any help I get here.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 19, 2011, 06:57 PM
    Because you arrived in 2005, your exempt status expired on 31 December 2009, so, for 2010, you are a resident alien for tax purposes.

You should file Form 1040 with Schedules C and SE.
    Indian CPA Posts: 22, Reputation: 7

May 20, 2011, 07:08 AM

The amount received seems low. You do not have to be concerned about estimated tax payment.

Indian CPA
    Home - Indian CPA
    Senior Tax Expert

May 20, 2011, 02:07 PM
    I agree with Indian CPA that for 2010, NO estimated payments are required due to the low amount of income received.

However, if the 2011 income exceeds $5,000, then quarterly estimated payments will be needed.

May 23, 2011, 11:19 AM
    Hello Atlanta Tax Expert and Indian CPA,

Thanks for the answers. I did not have to pay for last year, but This year my total income
    From being a contractor totals to approximately 19160 and I've already overpaid on my first
    Quarter, so I should be set. I just got to being a W-2 employee and will have my taxes
    Withheld from now on.

Again thanks for helping me out with this question.

- Eric D'Mello

Senior Tax Expert

May 23, 2011, 02:44 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the IRS fine ($) for not 1099 getting a 1099 from a contractor? [ 3 Answers ]

I know a 1099 is needed for anyone paid over $600, but what if, for argument sake, one cannot 1099 the contractor because they refuse or don't have a SS#, etc. What are the penalties for this beside not being able to expense the transaction? What does the IRS do?

1099 Income Tax Question [ 1 Answers ]

I set up a small consulting company in 2010 and it is an LLC and I got permission for an S corp. I work as a consultant and have received checks in the corporate name but also checks in my name. My question is can I count the 1099 income as company income? Since many people know me I got checks...

1099 Tax question [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I loaned a friend of mine 5000 early this year (he is an accountant) , and few days ago he said he will return me the money in 5 checks each is 1000 and will issue me 1099 form. Does that mean I will have to pay more tax because it is another income ? Or does that merely reduce his tax ?...

How do I become a 1099 contractor? [ 1 Answers ]

I live in New Hampshire and have recently been hired as a 1099 contractor for the job of my dreams. I earned money last year, 2007, as a 1099 contractor but would like to make it official so I can put money into Social Security and cover myself legally. How do I become a 1099 contractor in...

1099 for contractor [ 1 Answers ]

Here is the situation. 1. Company "ABC. Inc", a S corporation has performed service to another company "123, Inc". 2. ABC company send invoice to 123 company for the service. 3. ABC company asked 123 company to issue the check to the individual name of the ABC company's officer, owner. ...

View more questions Search