Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Apr 11, 2011, 02:06 PM
    Can't post ad on Craigslist
    Hi,

I'm trying to post an ad on craigslist and it will not post. This phrase is highlighted in yellow: Please review and confirm your ad by EMAIL ADDRESS for portland (washington co) craigslist.

I did so, and hit "continue" and nothing happens except it brings it back to the top of the screen where this message is still present.

What is going on?
    Vision Expert

Apr 11, 2011, 02:34 PM

It is also giving me this prompt:

Stating a discriminatory preference in a housing post is illegal, is prohibited on craigslist, and can be expensive:

* you can be fined more than $10,000 for each discriminatory ad, plus damages in court, plus loss of license if you are a professional

* avoid phrases which could be interpreted as discriminating by race/color/origin (e.g. 'hispanic area'), religion (e.g. 'christian home'), age / familial status (e.g. 'no kids'), disability, sexual orientation, or source of income

* the words you choose can cost you - get the facts and avoid being prosecuted under fair housing law

Is this just a normal thing or am I somehow using a word I'm not supposed to?

HELP!
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 11, 2011, 04:02 PM

If your not using a word that qualifies in that category then its just a cya advert so craigslist has the warning keeping them from getting sued.
    Vision Expert

Apr 11, 2011, 04:49 PM

Then why isn't my ad posting?
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 11, 2011, 04:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma View Post
    Then why isn't my ad posting?
    Have you tried it more then the time you tried? It may be the server was temporarily down. I don't use that service but also it may be that it did post but was awaiting approval. Just like what we have hear on some forum sections.
    Vision Expert

Apr 11, 2011, 04:57 PM

It posts right away, not approval... And yes I tried a few times and its been doing this to me for weeks.
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 11, 2011, 04:59 PM
    It posts right away, not approval....And yes I tried a few times and its been doing this to me for weeks.
    If it has been weeks then you might contact their technical support and try to find out what's going on. There may be some kind of change in the system not reflected in your browser.

Have you tried using a different browser to post?
    Vision Expert

Apr 11, 2011, 05:00 PM

No, IE freezes my computer.
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 11, 2011, 05:06 PM
    No, IE freezes my computer.
    Google Chrome? Are you using I.E. 9 ?
    Vision Expert

Apr 11, 2011, 05:49 PM

No, I use Firefox
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 11, 2011, 05:51 PM

You could maybe try chrome and see if that works for you. Im not sure what the actual issue is on why its not going through. You should have gotten a return message if the server was down and this is way too long of a time for that to be the case.
    Vision Expert

Apr 11, 2011, 05:52 PM

I can't download anything on this computer. It should work on Firefox. I just want to figure out how to post my ad
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 11, 2011, 05:57 PM

Here is the status page with a link in it to the help forum.

craigslist | help > system status
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 11, 2011, 05:58 PM
    It is also giving me this prompt:

Stating a discriminatory preference in a housing post is illegal, is prohibited on craigslist, and can be expensive:

* you can be fined more than $10,000 for each discriminatory ad, plus damages in court, plus loss of license if you are a professional

* avoid phrases which could be interpreted as discriminating by race/color/origin (e.g. 'hispanic area'), religion (e.g. 'christian home'), age / familial status (e.g. 'no kids'), disability, sexual orientation, or source of income

* the words you choose can cost you - get the facts and avoid being prosecuted under fair housing law

Is this just a normal thing or am I somehow using a word I'm not supposed to?

HELP!
    So, what words are you using?
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 11, 2011, 05:58 PM

There is a known issue from the looks of it involving AVG antivirus. Not sure if you are using that or not.
    Vision Expert

Apr 11, 2011, 06:02 PM

I do use AVG...
    Vision Expert

Apr 11, 2011, 06:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    So, what words are you using?
    I used the word disabled... but that shouldn't disable me from posting. I removed it and was still unable to post though.
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 11, 2011, 06:09 PM

Not sure if this is an ongoing issue.

Getting scattered reports of "viruses" popping up when folks try to post, view, or reply to ads in the personals/rants & raves section. Users running AVG Active Surf-Shield (an anti-virus software) may see erroneous messages of an "active threat" and "virus found HTML/framer "on certain craigslist pages.

AVG released an update earlier today that should fix this issue, however, some users may need to manually update their software. More info can be found at the AVG site.

Users who aren't running AVG software or who continue to see virus warnings pop up, can report problems at our help desk forum

Please provide the exact message that appears, on what craigslist webpage it pops up, the web browser you're running (firefox, IE, etc.), and the anti-virus software (if any) installed on your computer
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 11, 2011, 06:11 PM
    I used the word disabled... but that shouldn't disable me from posting. I removed it and was still unable to post though.
    Actually it could stop you from posting. See the word I bolded below from your post.

Depends on how detailed they are.
    Vision Expert

Apr 12, 2011, 11:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Actually it could stop you from posting. See the word I bolded below from your post.

Depends on how detailed they are.
    I read that, but it was pertaining to my profession. Like I said, I removed the word and it still would not let me post. I don't think it would stop me from posting, it is just a warning.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Email for craigslist [ 1 Answers ]

I am unable to respond to listings on craigslist and have not had any luck setting up an email account. Please help.

Cashing in On Craigslist [ 9 Answers ]

What is this program, and does it work?

Craigslist $ [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know how Craigslist makes any money?It's a free site to use so I am curiousas to how the owner makes money off it.

Craigslist sales [ 7 Answers ]

I have no idea if this is the right topic to post under but I'm wondering if there is any reason it would be dangerous to give your address when making sales online. I've sold a lot of items on Craigslist and now I'm selling an item and someone responded wanting me ship an item to the US once I...

View more questions Search