Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Leroykat Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2011, 11:16 AM
    Moisture between vapor barrier and new aqua board
    I recently had my tub surround redone do to a leaking shower pull assembly, about 6 weeks ago we noticed cracking and holes in grout lines and moisture coming out under the tub, we opened up a kitchen wall behind the new tile and there is moisture between the vapor barrier and the backside of the aqua board. The original tub surround only had vapor barrier and insulation part way down as it is a split level and the bathroom wall joins my kitchen wall about 4 feet down. Could the moisture be condensation from the hot showers?? what would cause this to happen?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 16, 2011, 06:28 AM

Hi Leroy,

You kind of indicated what the problem is... ;)

Here, water/moisture got through the grout lines and got caught between the backside of the aquaboard and the vapor barrier... exactly what should have happened to a point!

Now, the vapor barrier should have been installed in such a way that the vapor barrier drapes into the tub (behind surround but over the lip of the tub) so that any moisture that gets behind the tub will drip back down and into the tub.

In your case, it doesn't sound like the vapor barrier falls into the tub.

With all that being said, if you remove any loose grout and regrout to a proper depth you shouldn't have any real big issues afterward. Heck, most homes don't have the vapor barrier at all and they don't have damage most of the time if the grouting/sealing was done right!

Finally, be sure to seal the floor well, especially at the corners where the tub meets the floor, as half of all leaky issues show up there with tubs.

More questions? Let us know, OK?

Mark
    Leroykat Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2011, 01:49 PM
    Thanks Mark for your info, after consulting with a plumber, a tile guy, 2 drywall people and another restoration company they all said exactly the same thing "THERE SHOULDN'T BE A VAPOR BEHIND THE AQUA BOARD ON AN INTERIOR WALL IT WILL TRAP MOISTURE AND SOAK YOUR AQUA BOARD FROM BEHIND" which is exactly what was happening since the vapor barrier was sealed in tight under the Aqua board there was zero breathing room and absorbing into the backside of the aqua board (it was literally dripping wet)... Fortunately this was an insurance job and the company warranties up to 2 yrs and has to fix it and we have decided since the Aqua board was soaking wet we are opting to have the tub surround redone, I just hope it doesn't take 36 days like the last time :o)This all leads back to a drywall installer this company contracted who by day 3 had done such a crappy job I was complaining almost daily about and they should have checked his work and didn't and refused to send someone else... now they can see he wasn't qualified and no longer use him but if they had listened they wouldn't be paying for this to be redone.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vapor barrier in Bathroom [ 7 Answers ]

I am doing a bathroom remodel in my Central PA home. I have heard several different opinions on how to install a vapor barrier. I was told by one person that I should install unfaced insulation on all exterior walls and then install a 4 mil poly vapor barrier. After that, I should install green...

Vapor barrier in ceiling? [ 2 Answers ]

My Kitchen has an old panel typed ceiling which I really dislike and is starting to show unevenness due to the old glue coming undone. Plan is to just rip it down and replace it with drywall. However I have a question about installing a vapor barrier.. Right now it is just ceiling titles, then...

Vapor barrier behind greenboard. [ 2 Answers ]

Hello: In doing greenboard sheetrock in a bathroom, I have been told that I should not use a vapor barrier over the insulation for outside walls. If this is correct then why? In addition is any problem expected if regular drywall screws are used instead of stainless Screws? What...

Double vapor barrier [ 1 Answers ]

Will there be a potential problem using a DOUBLE vapor barrier as in the following setup? Bedrooms were cold/drafty. Removed the drywall on the outer walls, sealed all leaks and put in new insulation. The insulation has the paper vapor barrier attached, installed toward the heated room. As...

Moisture barrier under cement board in shower [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm framing in a new stall shower, have looked at web sites on the subject and most experts suggest putting a moisture barrier under the cement board. I can see why that would be good. One company, which produces a thick (15 mil) membrane for this application, also shows a detail in which a...

View more questions Search