Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2011, 08:36 AM
    Parental permisison for passport
    I'm bouncing off this thread - https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/family...-568945-2.html

The mother of the children cannot locate the father (she and father are not citizens; children appear to be US born). Mother wants to take the children back home/overseas. She cannot get permission of father - obviously.

What does she need to do to get a Passport for the children (and also a visa)?
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Apr 14, 2011, 09:42 PM

If they were legally married, she should file a divorce, get sole custody of the children. With court order in hand, she does not need him to sign anything.

The children are dual citizens, so it's probably easier to apply for passport other than American.

Need more details such as were they legally married or just domestic partner? Is his name on birth certificates? What country they're from? etc.
    Steph4353 Posts: 24, Reputation: 4

Aug 13, 2012, 01:45 PM
    Does this mean my mom would have to get permission from my Dad for a passport for me? Me and my Dad aren't exactly on the best terms and I'm sure if she had to get consent he would refuse.

They weren't married and he's not on my Birth Certificate, but recently he said he was going to petition DNA or something on those terms.

If he's not on my birth certificate and doesn't have visitation rights. I don't even think he is legally viewed as my father. Is it possible for him to get custody by petitioning DNA and ruin my trip to Bora Bora?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2012, 03:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph4353 View Post
    Does this mean my mom would have to get permission from my Dad for a passport for me? Me and my Dad aren't exactly on the best terms and I'm sure if she had to get consent he would refuse.

They weren't married and he's not on my Birth Certificate, but recently he said he was going to petition DNA or something on those terms.

If he's not on my birth certificate and doesn't have visitation rights., I dont even think he is legally viewed as my father. Is it possible for him to get custody by petitioning DNA and ruin my trip to Bora Bora?

Has he been acknowledged to be your father, for example, through DNA testing?

I realize from your other posts that you are a minor. This is something your mother needs to clear up as far in advance of the trip as possible, just in case there are issues.

Does he pay support? Why does he now, at your age, think DNA testing to determine whether he's your father seem like a good idea to him - if you know.
    Steph4353 Posts: 24, Reputation: 4

Aug 13, 2012, 06:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Has he been acknowledged to be your father, for example, through DNA testing?

I realize from your other posts that you are a minor. This is something your mother needs to clear up as far in advance of the trip as possible, just in case there are issues.

Does he pay support? Why does he now, at your age, think DNA testing to determine whether or not he's your father seem like a good idea to him - if you know.
    No, he hasn't been acknowledged to be my father at all. He didn't know of me until earlier this year, but now that my mom says he's my father, and I look almost exactly like his other daughter, he has become a control freak. I think it is like a pride thing.

He wanted to get custody of me and I told him that he's not on my BC so it's not possible. So he went on a rant talking about petitioning DNA, and got really, really mad when I told him that I didn't want to live with him.

I'm not on very good terms with him, because I don't feel like he earned to be my father. It isn't his fault he wasn't in my life but truthfully? I'm glad he wasn't.

I will ask my mom to clear it up, and yes, I'm a minor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Renewed passport recently but old passport with visa to usa lost... what 2 do? [ 3 Answers ]

Recently I renewed my passport but my old passport in which visa for usa was stamped ,got lost. What am I supposed to do?

I want to get rid of my ex husbands parental rights, why, so I can get a passport for [ 1 Answers ]

I want to get rid of my ex husbands parental rights, he doesn't call, he has no ID, he isn't a us citizen, and doesn't have a valid green card. The reason I want to do this is I work in the travel industry and have great oppertunities to travel, I want to get a passport for my children but can not...

Lost Passport with no details of previous passport--Very important [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, What can be done when a passport is lost and no details regarding the previous passport ios available?? The FIR from the police station was produced at the regional passport office but we got a response saying that another passport cannot be issued if the details of previous passport are...

2009 felon passport rules,can passport be obtained? What courtries will turn away fel [ 5 Answers ]

2009 felon passport rules. Can a passpotl be obtained? What countrys reject felons? 2009 felon passport rules. Can a passport be obtained? What countrys reject felons?

View more questions Search