Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wonder1984 Posts: 74, Reputation: 2

Jan 23, 2007, 05:44 PM
    How do you say this in french?
    Well I want to learn how to say a sertain frize in french...

"Do they not have pen or paper where you are?"

Anybody know?

And I will check it with a book to se that it is right...
    Just want it to be in the right order and use right bending on the verbs and stuff
    Its hard to put together real sentences...

I have checked with a couple of online translators but id doesn't seem to be working so well.
    Would be great if anyone french could check it out and say how they would say it :)

Thanks!
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2007, 05:54 PM
    I don't know french but will point this out:

Most translation software is based on one of 2 "formats". You can see an example of each at
    Free Translation.com
    And
    Systransoft.com

Both will do adequately with very basic words and phrases (like yours) but neither does well with complex sentences, especially ones including any colloquialisms.
    dmatos Posts: 204, Reputation: 26

Jan 23, 2007, 08:24 PM
    Often, it is impossible to perform a literal translation of an English phrase into French. You will have more luck if you simplify the sentence down to the bare meaning.

"Are there no pens or paper where you are?"

This makes things easier, because it eliminates the unspecified "they" from the English phrase. Also, the "where you are" may translate properly as "chez vous," literally, "at your place." You'll probably want to use the construction "il y a" - "there are", and then negate it with "il n'y a pas" there are not. Then just add the pen & paper nouns, and turn it into a question.

Jan 24, 2007, 03:06 AM
    RickJ:
    Thanks Rick.
    Already tried bable fish and asked my friend if itseemed right but she said it didn't...
    Aötough she didn't know how to do it either though :P

dmatos:
    So do you know French?
    Does anyboy else know?
    Because it would be great if a french person could confirm it being right or wrong.

Thanks guys! :)

Jan 24, 2007, 08:18 AM
    I took French until my OAC year (grade XIII), but haven't really used it much at all since. Theoretically, I could order a hamburger, or ask where the washroom is, but the reply would have to be spoken very slowly for me to follow.

Written French is easier for me, as long as it doesn't use esoteric verb tenses.

Jan 24, 2007, 12:14 PM
    How about this??
    N'ont-ils pas de stylo ou du papier où t'es/vous êtes ?

Jan 24, 2007, 04:03 PM
    Though more long-winded, I would use

"Est-ce q'il n'y a pas" instead of "N'ont-ils pas." The literal translation would be "Are there no" instead of "Do they not have."

The problem is in the way that the word "they" is used. In English, you are not specifying any particular person. In French, I think you are when you use "ils."

Also, you should pluralize the pens ("des" instead of "de"), and you need to add a "là" before your "où." That would make the whole sentence:

Est-ce q'il n'y a pas des stylos ou du papier là où vous êtes ?

Jan 24, 2007, 05:57 PM
    Thanks dude! :)
    Great great great! :)

Hope it is correct now :P
    Going to use it :)

Thanks again! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

French Citizenship from French Mother [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I'm looking into getting French citizenship for myself. Born here in US, 24 years old, my mother moved here from France when quite young and is still a French citizen. According to most of what I've read (in English) this would make me automatically French, I'd just need to get the...

Can French citizen applying for US citizenship keep French nationality too? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Experts, I am a French citizen with a green card since 1997, that I obtained through marriage. I have been living in the US since then and I would like to apply to a US citizenship but keep my French citizenship as well. Is this possible? Also, I am now separated from my husband. Can I...

French citizenship through french/canadian husband [ 3 Answers ]

Hey there - my husband was born in France. He's been a citizen of canada, resident of quebec, since his French family immigrated 36 years ago. We got married in Los Angeles, certificate issued at the Beverly Hills court-house, in 2003. I was originally informed that: 1) I had to wait 3 years...

French drains [ 3 Answers ]

Is a french drain part of a plumbing system when a house is built? Does it normally drain to grade (or daylight). How can I determine if there is a clog in the system.

View more questions Search