Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    charlottee04 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2011, 12:04 AM
    Am I adopted?
    Okay before anyone starts to comment on this yes I am a teenager and it isn't just that I don't get on with my parents. I have asked to see my birth certificate, my parents where hesitant at first but gave it to me. It was very small and only had my name, date of birth, where I was born and the date I got it done. But the date in which I got it done was 2 months after I was born. My birth certificate doesn't have my parents on there at all. I do get on with my parents but I just think its weird and there are no other birth certificates for me. If anyone could help me please comment below! I just need some reassurance! Thank you xx
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 11, 2011, 02:41 AM

First of all, what are the base reasons you think you are adopted. Is it because you don't feel you resemble your parents?

If it was a small card, plasticized, then no, it would not have your parents mentioned on it. This card is what you need for ID. Could be you are reading too much into their reluctance to show it to you. It is a very important piece of ID.

Tick
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 11, 2011, 03:45 AM

The size and info on a birth certificate varies from area to area. So the question is whether they showed you an official birth certificate or not. You can check with the agency that oversees birth certificates to find out.

Second, did you ask your parents whether you are adopted or not? Explain to them that knowing will not change how you feel about them, except to make the bond stronger since they CHOSE you. But it will make you feel better and understand yourself better.

Apr 11, 2011, 01:06 PM
    Comment on tickle's post
    It was a birth certificate not an ID card.
    The main reasons I suppose is that I have no baby photos only form when I was like 2 and onwards.. I have never really had a great connection with them... :/

Apr 11, 2011, 01:07 PM
    Comment on ScottGem's post
    I have asked them but they went crazy at me.. :/ I don't know what else to do because I just need to know for sure. If it was on my birth certificate then I wouldn't question it..
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Apr 11, 2011, 01:14 PM

If you were adopted, it would be on your birth certificate anyway. At the time of adoption, adoptive parents are listed on the birth certificate as the legal parents.

I'd be pretty upset and hurt as your parent if you asked me if you were adopted as well---ESPECIALLY if you weren't.

There are no pictures of me before age 3 or so either--my parents couldn't afford a camera or professional pictures.

Depending on how old you are--and you did say a teen, so I'm betting under 18--there is VERY little likelihood that you are adopted and do not know it. Closed adoptions have become very rare in the last 20 years.

Apr 11, 2011, 01:32 PM
    Comment on Synnen's post
    The only thing on the birth certificate is my name. That's it..
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 11, 2011, 01:34 PM

Why not get a copy of your birth certificate?

I have one of those laminated birth certificates, and yes, it is meant to be an ID card, like, if I would go out drinking.

Apr 11, 2011, 01:39 PM
    Comment on Wondergirl's post
    I'm getting one soon, only issue is its in London and I now live in Wiltshire.. :/
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 11, 2011, 01:44 PM

Would you be upset if you were adopted?

Parents who've adopted have been told to be upfront with their children, so, like Synnen said, it's unlikely you are adopted. You would have been told from little on that you were chosen and are much loved.

Apr 11, 2011, 01:45 PM
    Comment on Wondergirl's post
    I'm not sure, I just want to know the truth.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 11, 2011, 01:59 PM

For medical reasons alone, your parents would have mentioned you are adopted, if you are.

There's too much against it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 11, 2011, 03:00 PM

First, please use the Answer options to post follow-up questions or info, not Comments.

Second, A lot depends on HOW you asked your parents. There are right ways and wrong ways.

And I doubt if what they showed you was a birth certificate. Even in the UK (and you should have mentioned your area from the beginning, a birth certificate lists the parents, hospital, delivery physician, address of parents etc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want to get adopted? [ 5 Answers ]

My dad is a meth addict. He neglects me when his girlfriends are around and when I have a vey important question he yells at me to go away if he's in there with his girlfriend. One time there were sparks coming out of the socket when I pluged something in and I went down to his room and asked him...

Am I adopted ? [ 6 Answers ]

I've always felt I'm not part of the family in some way but can never put my finger on it, I have a birth certificate (seen it) but there are other clues which points me in this adoption direction... My name is now spelt differently to what is on the birth certificate, my mum and dad's choice,...

I was adopted(birth parents are dead) but my adopted father is a deadbeat dad.. [ 7 Answers ]

I was adopted(birth parents are dead) but my adopted father is a deadbeat dad... My mother re-married & he husband (stepfather) has been what I consider my father. How can I have my adopted fathers name taken off my birth certificate & add my step fathers name? My mother is now deceased. The...

Want to be adopted [ 1 Answers ]

I'm 16 years old. My parents want me out of there house. My best friends mom wants to take me in but my parents don't want any legal responsibility for me. They have agreed to let me live with her. But under the conditions they don't have any responsibility for me whatsoever.

Adopted in OH, Live in MD, husband wants to adopt my adopted son [ 1 Answers ]

I adopted my son 2 yrs ago in Ohio (single adoption), I live in Maryland. My soon to be husband wants to adopt him after we are married. Would we have to do it in OH or MD?

View more questions Search