Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Apr 10, 2011, 09:31 AM
    Condition:Dehydration
    I am very dehydrated,spent limited time in the ER last night,(the attending was condescending, as usual for most of the visits I have at most hospitals) and wanted to just send me home without even checking any of my blood work,hydration,etc.. he hardly checked my respiration, I stood up to him and said won't leave without seeing my works... ( a complete run-up was done then)

Turns out I needed a few liters IV and am still having hydration problems today:(

Water just isn't fixing this,my hands and ankles are swelling but I can still see veins in the hands at least..

What to do?I am not thrilled with last night's results so that hosital won't get me back there!

Any ideas?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 10, 2011, 09:38 AM

Do you take Dyazide or another diuretic? Are you diabetic?

Why are you dehydrated?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2011, 09:43 AM

What did the hospital recommend? It's usually a fluid with electrolytes, such as pedialyte. They gave you a "few liters" and sent you home? Seems irresponsible.

Are they recommending urine testing in order to monitor kidney function?
    Ultra Member

Apr 10, 2011, 09:57 AM
    No, pre-diabetic,no other diuretics, even my skin has lost elasticity.. my face is peeling and it isn't from a sunburn... I am not happy right now.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 10, 2011, 10:08 AM

Has the weather changed very recently, or have you eaten something different from usual?

Have you ever experienced something like this before?

(I wish I could drag you over to the Elmhurst Hospital ER.)
    Ultra Member

Apr 10, 2011, 10:58 AM
    Actually the weather did change, for the better, we had an entire day of rain, first one since I moved here!(desert region doesn't get all that much:( )

I went over all the foods I had for the last 24-48 hours, I am a home cooker and generally take lunch with me to work,I did the fast food thing 2 days in a row,, perhaps that had something to do with it..

Before?The excessive swelling only from medications, and the blood work didn't show and overly high counts of the Depakote (which would be the only one to do this,as far as toxicity)

I am not sure which hospital I am going to frequent here yet, this was the first time I have gone to an ER here(As I see my GP for anything else like this) but on a Saturday Evening/Sunday AM, not going to happen.)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

4 month old spit up a lot today-worried about dehydration? What to do overnight? [ 1 Answers ]

My 4 month old didn't keep much of his feedings down today-spit up a few times. I'm worried about dehydration. Is there a way to know if he is OK? Should I let him sleep through the night or check him? He had no fever when he went to bed but was fussy today.

Dehydration in pregnancy [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone have just been reading through the posts and a few people have said that dehydration could be one of the many syptoms for pregnancy? Is this true?

Will medication and dehydration affect a breathalizer [ 2 Answers ]

I was pulled over and given a breathalizer registering 67... ihad 3 newcastle brown ales after a 2-3 hour training session lossing 6-7lbs in a sauna suit... I take distagegic 1000mg , co-codamol 1000mg,paracetamol 1000mg,ibuprofen 1000mg,dicloflex 200mg,asprin extra -4,prolab caffeine 600mg,fat...

View more questions Search