Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Apr 10, 2011, 03:48 AM
    Dental Hygiene
    I had a dental checkup a few days ago with a dentist I have known for many years. I am very satisfied with the skills of this dentist and would be very hard pressed to look for another. I really don't want to do that.
    I was not in a very good mood admittedly (probably because I don't like these checkups very much) when the hygenist called my name, but I tried to remain civil, even joking around with her some, at first. I have had extensive dental work (implants etc) and I have never had any problem tolerating any of it.
    She determined that I needed x-rays and I'm not a big fan of that either but I agreed to it. As I watched her get ready to do the x-rays, she got the necessary devices from the supply cabinet and placed them on the computer stand and I noticed that she wasn't wearing gloves and I said "Shouldn't you be wearing gloves?" Her answer was that "her hands were clean". That didn't improve my mood as I know that is not an acceptable answer. I ran my mouth some more about what was the policy in that office for a few minutes while she started my x-rays (she put on gloves at some point in between) and she said it again-- "my hands are very clean". I took off the x-ray apron, put it on the chair and walked out. On the way to the waiting room (my wife was with another hygenist and I was waiting for her) I saw the dentist and called him over (no others were in the waiting room at that time) and I guess I gave him a pretty hard time. At least twice, I asked him if what I described, especially his employee implying that clean hands were a substitute for gloves in his practice. He, of course, said No-it wasn't his policy.
    But then and later at another discussion after my wife was ready to leave, he made several attempts to justify what had happened which pretty well implied that I didn't see or hear what I thought I had seen or heard. He stressed that his employees are instructed to not wear gloves while readying the computer for digital hookups. I explained that she was handling devcies destined for my mouth at the same time.

Her "clean hands-don't need gloves" statements (twice) are what set me off. His explanantions always came back to the theme that I needed to understand the process better. I know that he can't admit any shortcomings with regard to hygenic procedures in his office and I have no doubt that he is a stickler for proper protection of patients. He could have simply said that he would stress to his employees that clean hands and gloves are two very different things.

He all but begged me to continue my relationship with him. I said that I would give him another chance at the end of the discussion. I asked my wife if she heard the commotion when I left the chair. She hadn't-- but the dentist had asked her (while he was examining her teeth) if I was OK (we had a tragic event in our lives six months ago which he knew about) and said that he had never seen me irritated before. I didn't know that until after we had finished our discussion with him.
    I think he sold me out rather than have a confrontation with his employee. He tried to make it about me. I have to decide whether to honor my commitment to give him another chance, in light of his questions of my wife, which I didn't know about when I made the commitment. I realize that my mood and recent grief may have affected my actions, and I guess the question is--Did I over-react?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 10, 2011, 05:03 AM

Why don't you like the regular maintenance on your mouth? It is a necessary practice especially as you have very expensive implants. Sometimes what we don't like we have to suffer with good spirit. Good of you to give your dentist another chance. How do you know he didn't talk to his employee after you left?

Yes, I think you were over reacting. Your post comes across that you actually went into your appt. with a chip on your shoulder. Sorry, my opinion only and I know this won't bode well for my reptutation score, but there you have it.

Tick
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Apr 10, 2011, 05:17 AM

tickle,
    I appreciate your comments.

I will never know for sure if he talked to his employees or not. I think he probably did.

If she had said, my hands are clean and I am not to the point at which gloves are required, I think I would have accepted that.

I admit, attitude is very important.

Thanks.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 10, 2011, 05:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smearcase View Post
    tickle,

If she had said, my hands are clean and I am not to the point at which gloves are required, i think i would have accepted that.

i admit, attitude is very important.

thanks.
    I am in healtchare and wear gloves when attending my clients. If I don't need them at any particular time, it doesn't matter, I still wear them because clients have come to expect it.

I do agree with 'my hands are clean and I am not at the point, etc'. but you sound like, that day, you would not have accepted even that statement :). We all have those days, Smear.

With age comes a lot of tolerance, I find.

Tick
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 10, 2011, 07:12 AM

I don't know what she was "touching" was it the actual instruments that were going into your mouth ? Or a sealed package with these tools in them?

Next x-rays are a normal part of any regular check up, so I don't know why you did not expect them.
    How often do you go, once or twice a year ?

I would say from your tone, yes it sounded like you were looking for a reason not to like it.

But if they touched with bare hands, the tools that were going into your mouth, report them to the licensing board,
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Apr 10, 2011, 04:17 PM
    As long as your hygienist washed her hands in front of you and neither you or she have any open sores I see nothing wrong with not wearing gloves for taking your x-rays. All surfaces in the operatory should have been thoroughly disinfected before anything that was going to be used for your appointment was placed on them. Usually when x-rays are taken nothing but the x-ray goes in your mouth, the hygienist's finger might move your lip a bit in order to see the placement of the film or sensor (if digital). The hygienist is often at more risk than the patient for "catching" something from them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hygiene [ 2 Answers ]

I have brown ish discharge that happened today and last night. I had intercouse about 2 weeks ago and my period is very irregular. Is there a chance I may be pregnant? He did not ejaculate in me but we did not use any form on contraceptive and I am not on any type of birth control

Dental hygiene major [ 1 Answers ]

I'm majoring in dental hygiene and I found out that I can get a job with just an associates degree. Is there a disadvantage to this or would you advice me to just go on to the bachelor's. Also, do you have to have a bachelor's degree before you can get your master's?:p

Dental work inexpensive at Dental Schools? [ 1 Answers ]

In the Raleigh-Cary area, do any of the Dental Schools offer inexpensive routine care for seniors on a tight budget? Thank you, Bob

Doing Dental Hygiene and Therapy to do Dentistry [ 1 Answers ]

Is it possible for me to do the Dental Hygiene and Therapy course and then do Dentisry, will this be easier way to get into university, as I know to do Dentistry it is very competitive, however I need to know whether it will be possible, otherwise there will be no point in doing the Dental Hygiene...

View more questions Search