Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    coolguy79 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1
    -

Apr 9, 2011, 02:54 PM
    Fathers child support obligation when mother of child is married and doesn't work
    What are my rights in child support issues in Arizona? I the father am the custodial parent, and primary residential parent. The mother of my child is married to another man and does not work or support herself. I the father pay $135 a month in support. Am I still obligated to pay child support?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 9, 2011, 03:50 PM

When were you awarded custody? Was support ordered because the mother has the child for a significant amount of time? Or was support ordered before you became the primary custodial parent? If so, did you go to court to modify the custody orders?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 9, 2011, 03:59 PM

Was this from the court order using proper state calculations as to how it is figured.

Even if you have primary custody and the main parent, often if the other parent has the child enough days, and has no income, the custody parent will still have to pay support

My very close friend last year, got custody of his son, but still paid 400 dollars a month support since the non custody parent had the child enough visit days and no income
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 9, 2011, 04:29 PM

You can ask the courts to impune income to the parent if they are refusing to work and have by choice gone into an alternate lifestyle. If they worked before they can base the figures off that for the purpose of calculating child support.
    -

Apr 9, 2011, 07:11 PM
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    The current support order is from 2008 in the state of Arizona, it was by the required guidelines, we have joint legal custody, equal 50/50 parenting time, week on week off. We both get 182.5 days a year. At the time child support was calculated I was making a lot more money than I am now, and she wasn't married and had a job. Since that time she has gone to school while on state assistance and unemployment, and now her husband makes all the money, so she doesn't personally finance any of our child life, her husband does. Also, I'm a soldier in the National Guard here in AZ which sometimes takes me out of town or out of the counrty for training, and often during my weekends of parenting time. I make arrangement s with her to take our son, cause it is the right thing to do. She never allows me to have the time back even though she is required to. I address it in court to no avail, because the order refects my time with my son regardless if its excersized or not.
    -

Apr 9, 2011, 07:20 PM
    Comment on ScottGem's post
    It has always been joint legal custody. Since 2008 its been joint legal custody, with equal parenting time 50/50.. week on week off schedule. Support has changed accordingly over the years, and the last time calculated at the time 50/50 became effective, I made twice as much money as she did. Well, I don't make what I made in 2008-2009 and she doesn't work at all. She went to school while receiving state assistance and unemployment benefits. She personally does not financially contribute to our sons life, her husband does. I understand $135 is awesome for support, however I pay for everything and still get asked for money. I did a simple recalculation on our states form (AZ) and it reflected she would owe me $115 a month. And I used my income now and hers from 2008.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 9, 2011, 07:38 PM

First, if you have a follow-up question or info, please use the Answer options, not Comments. There is no need to repeat the same info to each respondent.

If circumstances have changed, then you go back to court and file for a modification.
    -

Apr 9, 2011, 07:50 PM
    Mother is alienating bio father because she thinks her husband is a better fit
    I was never married to my child's mother, and she is working on her second marriage.. we have 50/50 parenting time, joint legal custody... things have been quiet for 3 years, but now that our kid is 7, he wants to play sports. Fine by me, I am his baseball coach. Hoewver, on her visitation weeks, on non-baseball related days our son has been racing bmx, and I knew nothing about it. Now he wants to be with her more, because then he can race every week, thinking I won't take him if he wanted to go. I wasn't involved in any decision making in this and I believe it should be a joint decision, nor am I paying for it. But it does directly affect his welfare because racing bmx bikes is extremely dangerous. My 10 year old nephew has bee racing for 3 years and has borken his hand, arm, leg, and dislocated his shoulder twice. So, my son, his mom, and her husband have a secret sport, and she refuses to tell me where it is. My son doesn't know he is still young and isn't totally aware of where places are. Is this a way of alienating my child awat from me? If so what can I do about it?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2011, 09:52 AM

You go back to Court and request a more specific Order concerning decision making and your son.

If the money is a concern, request that that Order also be modified.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2011, 10:12 AM

This person obviously has issues - time to close - ?

Meanwhile he has custody of a child?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can I claim my daughter on taxes, never married to her mother, pay child support [ 4 Answers ]

I pay child support, and from what I pay, I pay about 70% of her costs, and her mother pays 30%, as determined by the court. I have joint custody, and see my daughter a couple times a week, and 2 overnights a month. Do I have a right to claim her on my Taxes at least every other year. I live in...

How do me and my sons mother get rid of child support and the state and just work it [ 3 Answers ]

I am unemployed and owe back child support and have a warrant for not paying child support me and my sons mother talked and she wants to cancel the child support and we will handle it on our own I was told that the courts won't cancel the child support we got the paper work and are trying to fill...

Can a father of a child force child support on a mother that gave up the child willing [ 13 Answers ]

While my wife and I were split up she got pregnant ( while on the birth control implant). I myself am fixed ( we didn't want anymore kids) and we couldn't afford to have more kids if wanted them. We thought about giving the child up for adoption but it turns out the father wants the child. He...

Child support obligation [ 2 Answers ]

My ex husband has not paid child support for approx 1yrs. I am aware that he is currently on welfare for his three daughters with someone else. Does that mean he does not have to pay child support for our child?he lives in ca.:confused:

Child support obligation [ 3 Answers ]

My husband was married to a woman before me and they had a child together. When they first divorced, he was still in college, working part time and living with his parents, so his income, should the court have put into effect a child support order, would have fallen below the minimum needs...

View more questions Search