Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sudipp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2011, 10:09 AM
    Help on Income Tax amendment
    Hello Sir,

Myself n my wife came together (L1 & L2 visa) to USA on December 2010. I filled my Tax as Single. But I need to amend it (want to file tax jointly). My wife doesn't have a iTIN. Do I need to fill W7, 1040NR and 1040X form? Please suggest the process.

Regards
    Sudip
    clodaRainbow13 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2011, 05:07 AM
    Now I'm no and I'm a ten year old WAIT! Don't STOP READING! I have some advice just so you know bring home your wife frowers tonight then make her dinner and tell her she's special p.s tank me later!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 19, 2011, 06:49 PM
    Unless you arrived on 1 December 2011, you will NOT meet the criteria for filing jointly under First Year Choice!

Sorry!
    Indian CPA Posts: 22, Reputation: 7

May 20, 2011, 07:16 AM

Sudip,
    Since you had income/salary just under a month, you may not benefit from filing jointly, unless the income received was very high. In order to file jointly as residents, you should be in US for at least 31 days in the year.

Indian CPA
    Home - Indian CPA

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need to file an amendment for 2006 taxesand add income to it [ 1 Answers ]

I need to amend and add income to my 2006 taxes. I chose not to add this income but now the IRS wants me to amend it.

Tax Amendment? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a U.S. citizen, but my wife is canadian. She resides in canada while our paperwork goes through for her visa. I was told to file my 2007 taxes as single, since my wife doesn't have a SSN yet. Also was told that her income (earned in canada) will not count against my own taxable income. I...

Tax amendment [ 1 Answers ]

How can I check the status of my tax amendment? Thanks..

How long is the wait for a refund on a tax amendment, or how do I check the status of my file?

My daughter filed her 2006 1040A and sent it to the IRS on March 7, 2007. She is expecting a return. On March 9, 2007 she received a 1099-MISC with only Box 7 completed. I have been told by the IRS she will need to file an amendment after she receives her return. The IRS said she will need...

View more questions Search