Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maylaur Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2007, 01:44 PM
    Human VS Pig
    I have heard that the pig is very close to humans genetically but what are the most identifiable differences between the DNA of the two?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2007, 01:51 PM
    Here are some articles of interest:

Expression of Naked DNA in Human, Pig, and Mouse Skin -- Hengge et al. 97 (12): 2911 -- Journal of Clinical Investigation

Entrez PubMed
    maylaur Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2007, 02:03 PM
    Thank you for the articles. They are very helpful and interesting!

Here's an offshoot from the original question...

If pig blood and human blood were to be mixed (without any sort of chemical or other treatment) how would the two be distinguished from each other. Someone I know was telling me it would take a year long (or longer) genome study to tell them apart but I do not agree. Aren't there less time-consuming and less expensive tests to perform which could differentiate between the two?
    medgen Posts: 32, Reputation: 5

Feb 6, 2007, 05:59 AM
    OK, so if you 'mixed them together' then 'telling them apart' would be virtually impossible, since they are chemically very similar and at this point would be mixed. Something like FACS might separate out the cells, but I don't think that is what you are getting at.

So, let's put this another way -- if you took two separate stains, one of pig blood and the other human blood, then it would be VERY easy to tell them apart. A simple ELISA-type test (using an antibody against human blood hemoglobin, for instance) would be the most quick and easiest way. See more info here: Independent Forensics DNA Testing and Technologies . Genetically they are also very different -- a simple battery of STR tests could very quickly tell you which was the human and which was pig.

On the other hand, there are a great deal of genetic similarities between pigs and humans. Many of the proteins are quite close in sequence and structure, etc. Genetically, this is just a guess, but I'm imagining there is probably around 60% similarity at the genomic level (give or take an order of magnitude :-)).
    martinvoss Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2009, 09:37 PM

If a pig and human blood is mixed, you can identify the difference in minutes with tests that are specific for human blood. Check out Hematrace manuafctured by Abacus Diagnostics
    medgen Posts: 32, Reputation: 5

Oct 2, 2009, 08:09 AM
    Actually, if they are mixed then you will be out of luck. Only if they are physically separate can you tell them apart.
    fluffybunny212 Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Jan 10, 2012, 02:17 PM
    I don't know
    blackjac Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Jan 12, 2012, 12:03 PM
    Lol this is a common question I guess
    Go to the page
    "Human vs pig and chimpanzee DNA"
    On this website, me and a few other peaple are talking abut the same thing lol

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Human ashes [ 8 Answers ]

Hi there, My friend recently lost her partner and later he was cremated, his mother was still the 'next of kin', therefore she received the ashes. Then over a week later, the mother in law gave my friend half of the ashes to keep. The ashes look like gravel and not the powder that we expected....

Guinea pig death [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I'm kind of new to this but my little girl had 2 guinea pigs, both female. I went to feed them earlier and discovered one of them had died. Is there anything I need to do for the other guinea as I know she'll be lonely without her pal?

Human Dignity [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Experts, During WW-II many Christians were sent to Nazi camps because of their beliefs. They were remarkable in that they demenstrated their integrity to God. It was not easy because they were abused, women had their hair cut off and everything they owned or loved were stripped from them....

I am only human [ 12 Answers ]

Hi everyone, Ok, I blew it. I contacted my ex after a 3 week period of no contact. I feel like crap and I am beating myself up. I had a lot of support from all of you, and I appreciate it. But, I do make mistakes. She didn't have time for me and said she said she didn't have time to contact...

Possible ringworm in guinea pig [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know what over the counter medication can be used for a guinea pig with possible ringworm? Thanks

View more questions Search