Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    webb1704 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2011, 08:43 AM
    Is it easier to gain custody across state lines?
    My ex husband and I have been separated for 5 years(not legally separated). We have shared our son with him having our son on weekends and I have him on weekdays. For the last 2 years I've been with my boyfriend who now lives in another state with a great job and a house waiting for my son and I. my ex was OK with shared custody, our son with me during the year and with him for the summers... split christmas and spring break alternating years. I wasn't asking for child support just that he pay for flights. All was well until he found out my boyfriend was going to be involved. Now he is fighting for full custody so I can't take our son with me in June... which is when my job starts. My question is would it be easier for me to just leave with our son and file for custody once we are settled in the other state... rather than fight and possibly get stuck in this state where I have no job & soon no home?
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2011, 10:27 AM

The problem with your plan is that your new state won't have jurisdiction over the proceeding for a period, usually 6 months. If he files for custody in that time, you can and most likely will be ordered by the court to return your son to the state.

Running across state lines makes it more complicated, not less.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child Custody Across State Lines [ 7 Answers ]

Please bear with me, this is a complex question: I was served yesterday with a summons stating that my ex husband is suing for custody of our two sons, ages 8 & 10. I have no money for an attorney and legal aid services are difficult to come by. My ex, however, married an attorney when we...

Child custody across state lines of va and md [ 1 Answers ]

I live in virginia metro area and my mother lives in Maryland. I am having relationship difficulties with the father of my soon to be baby daughter due in two weeks. He's been in trouble with the law plenty in the past. My question is ,if I have the baby in virginia and I end up separating from the...

Child Custody Across State lines [ 8 Answers ]

I have never been married to my Daughters mother, Our child is 12months old now and we have no custody agreement through the courts. I would like to start custody and visitation arrangements along with child support, I get my daughter every once in a while, but not as much as I like. I am moving to...

Custody fight across state lines [ 2 Answers ]

I want to get sole-custody of my 3-year old daughter. By her behavior over Christmas I suspect she is being abused by her mother. Mom and daughter live in N. Carolina and I live in Calif. We've been legally separated since just before I got out of the military. There was never any formal agreement...

View more questions Search