Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    j_One_kRuZ Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2011, 07:19 AM
    How do you treat a foreign company's pension builder for US tax purposes?
    Hello, I appreciate all the clarifying answers I can get.
    Back in 2000 I started contributing to a Foreign
    Insurance Company to their so called Pension Builder.
    This the Philamlife Insurance Company Pension Builder
    in the Philippines. I was contributing about $600.00 (32k pesos)
    yearly and after 10 years it reached maturity and I just
    got my first distribution of $1100.00 (50k pesos) last year
    Dec 2010. The account itself supposedly has a face value
    of roughly $10k-11k (500k pesos).

Now how do I report the distribution in my 2010 Income tax.

1) Report the interest of $500 in schedule B?
    2) Report this as Pension or Annuity Income?

The bottom line is I am not sure. I am also confused on
    how to classify this type of Account, whether this
    some sort of deferred annuity or just a high interest
    savings account?

Thanks for all the help.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 8, 2011, 10:25 AM
    I do not think it is a pension distribution. The distribution would be considered either interest or dividends, plus perhaps a partial repayment of principal which is NOT axable.

You need to get the company to identify what the distribution was for tax purposes and how much was a repayment of principal. Otherwise, you MAY have to claim it ALL as dividends.

Apr 12, 2011, 08:49 PM
    Hello. Thanks for a response. I did contact the Philamlife and they told me that is
    some form of pension benefit doubling as a Life Insurance with a cash surrender
    value of around 360k Pesos ($8732) currently. Also I did some researching and
    it seems that the account takes the form of some kind of Fixed Annuity Insurance.
    For my part I will be using the IRS General Rule for computing taxes for non-qualified
    Pensions or Annuities for this Foreign Fixed Annuity plan. Further research tells me
    that foreign annuity plans are not tax-deferred therefore I am exempt from the 10%
    tax penalty for pension annuity distributions withdrawn before age 59. And then
    this thing opens up a can of worms regarding taxes on the earnings per year
    ever since I started this account back in 2000. Also there is the issue of
    FBAR filing of Life Insurance with Cash Value just recently put out by
    FinCen. I am not really sure if I I have to file this form to the Treasury
    with cash value is below $10k.

Apr 12, 2011, 08:55 PM
    Comment on AtlantaTaxExpert's post
    Thanks for the response. See my Answer below.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 13, 2011, 10:48 AM
    In my opinion, the $10,000 threshold applies for the Life Insurance with cash value, so no FBAR is necessary.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where to file a foreign pension from 1042-s [ 1 Answers ]

I am a resident alien that retired in August 2010 and left the USA in October. I received a 1042-s reporting the foreign persons US source income. Do I have to report this income on the 1040? If yes on what line would I report the gross income and federal tax withheld?

Filing you.S. Taxes: Foreign Income Exclusion AND Foreign Tax Credit? Etc. [ 0 Answers ]

Hello. I have a question about how to file U.S. taxes in a way that will give me the most benefit in my situation. Here are the details: 1. I'm a U.S. citizen, living in Japan. 2. I made less than the maximum allowed for the foreign income exclusion for each year I want to file. 3. I...

In what country did you claim residence for tax purposes during the tax year? [ 6 Answers ]

What should be the answer to this question? In what country did you claim residence for tax purposes during the tax year? I have been in United States from Aug 2006 on F1. My visa status changed to H1-B on oct 1st,2009. I am filling form 1040NR-eZ. Thanks in advance!

Are contributions to a foreign pension fund tax deductible? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi and Happy Thanksgiving to everyone, This is a question about pension funds in a foreign country eg: UK or Canada. If a US citizen or permanent resident is employed in a foreign country and he is contributing to the foreign company's pension fund, can he claim his contributions as tax...

Foreign pension [ 1 Answers ]

Do you have to claim as income money that you receive from a foreign country from a pension?

View more questions Search