b) how would you graph f(X) and its inverse of that relation and

c) Find Domain and range
    D f
    D f^-1
    R f
    R f^-1
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

Apr 8, 2011, 05:18 AM
    To find the inverse of a function, just substitute "y" in place of "f(x)". The solve the equation for "x".

In your example, after substituting in the y, you'd begin by adding 3 to both sides, then dividing both sides by -2, the squaring both sides, etc. until you end up with {some function of y} = x. Then just replace x with f^-1(x) and replace all the y's with x's.

Graphing the two functions is something you've probably known how to do for a long time. Just plug in points and plot them.

As for finding the domain and range, the ranges will be obvious once you plot the functions. For the domains, you need to look for operations like sqrt. If the function contains such an operation (as f(x) does in your case), then you need to keep in mind that the argument of the sqrt (-x+4 in your case) can't be negative. So certain values of x aren't allowed. You just need to solve the inequality -x +4 >= 0. As long as the value of x meets that criterion, it's allowed as part of the domain. When you compute the inverse, you'll find it doesn't have a sqrt in it, so the domain isn't limited in that case.

galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2011, 06:19 AM

See here as well.
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/math-s...-x-568637.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Inverse of function [ 1 Answers ]

what is the inverse function of f(x)= 3 + 8x/9

What is the inverse of this function? [ 1 Answers ]

g(x)= 3^2x-3 - 2

Inverse function [ 1 Answers ]

find the inverse of Ln(2x+1)

Inverse/Direct function [ 1 Answers ]

Ok in my Algebra class we are learning about functions and such, and yesterday we learned about inverse variation. So I stumble across this problem in my homework and I have no idea what to do. Here it is: Directions: f is the frequency, l is the wavelength, and v is the speed of sound. Use...

View more questions Search