Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aaaa11bbbb Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2011, 03:44 PM
    Social Security and Medicare tax refund : part L-1/part F-1 visa?
    Hello Tax experts,

I have a specific question regarding social security and medicare tax refund.

Tax Year: 2008
    Visa Status/days of presence in US: L-1-work (45 days), F-1 student (5 months)
    Substantial Presence Test: Failed (45 days: more than 31 days but less than 183 days - F-1 student days exempt from count).
    Residency for Tax Purpose: Non-Resident Alien

My Social Security tax was withheld ONLY when I was in L-1 (work) status.

We usually, have to file form 843 and 8316 to request for refund.

But, in form 8316, the first question says:

Was the income that the Social Security taxes were withheld from directly related to your course of studies as identified by the provisions of your entry visa. YES NO.

If you checked NO the taxes were correctly withheld and you are not entitled to a refund. Do not complete the rest of this form.

I have to check NO to this question. In other words, form 8316 is useful ONLY when the SS tax was withheld as an earning student (F-1 visa).

My questions:

1) Am I eligible for Social Security and Medicare refund?
    2) If I am eligible, should I file form 8316 alongside 843?

Please respond.

Thanks.
    taxesforaliens Posts: 649, Reputation: 117

Apr 8, 2011, 06:53 AM
    On an L visa you are not exempt from paying social security and Medicare
    Have a look here:
    http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/international/article/0, id=131635,00.html
    aaaa11bbbb Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2011, 12:38 PM
    Comment on taxesforaliens's post
    That helps. Thanks for the response!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H1-B Visa Social Security and Medicare Refund [ 1 Answers ]

I am here on a H1-B Visa. I want to return to India permanently. Can I get a refund for the Social Security and Medicare that I have paid for the last 5 years?

Which form for claiming refund of Social Security & Medicare Tax? [ 3 Answers ]

My wife is a J1 visa holder physician in US since 2008. We got married in Oct 2010. She filed her returns using 1040 forms for 2008 and 2009 (huge mistakes). We have realized that if she has to claim the refund of the Social Security & Medicare Tax for 2008/2009 she has to amend the returns...

Social Security Tax / Medicare Tax refund when I left usa [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Sir or Madam, I came to US as a research scholar (J1 visa). I've worked under J1 status from 04/2006 to 04/2010, and paid Social Security and Medicare fee for 2 years. However, I am leaving US soon, and no longer work and retire in US. So my questions will be: 1. Am I eligible to claim...

OPT -> H1B, tax filing & Social Security and Medicare refund [ 1 Answers ]

Hello Atlanta Tax Expert, I graduated December 2007, and worked from March 2008 with my OPT, then visa status is changed to H1B from October 2008. At the same time my wife's visa is changed from F2 to H4. But my company paid Social Security tax and Medicare tax. In this case, since I am non...

Social/medicare tax refund for J-2 VISA [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a graduate student at Vanderbilt University and my wife come here and got job to work for about 5 years and have been taxed for social /medicare taxes which she will not have any opportunity to have the benefit because we will have to go back to Thailand for good. Can she get a refund...

View more questions Search