Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ellejane Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2011, 02:32 PM
    Should I call to ask if I got the job, or will I come off as desperate?
    I applied for a job, and have recently gone through 4 interviews with them. They called me yesterday to go in for a Hard hat tour (Place has not yet opened, but will be opening soon) they have not directly offered me the job, but have spoke to me about when training will start and approximately how much pay will be, and how many employees they are looking to hire and other subtle hints. Now my question is, would it be improper to call or email the gentleman who called me and ask him if I got the job? The suspense is killing me! I don't want to sound desperate, but I don't think I can wait any longer! I would really appreciate your input on this. Thanks!
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2011, 03:12 PM

Definitely follow up - you have to ask for the job in most situations. If you have his email address, perhaps send a note that says, "Thank you for the time and courtesy you have extended to me in the hiring position for (official job title). Each time we've talked or met, I have been left with an increasingly positive and promising impression of the company, the people and the opportunity itself. I would greatly enjoy the job, feel I can do it very well and look forward to your decision. In the interim, I wanted to ask your time frame for making a decision, and whether there is anything more I might do or provide to assist in the process". Sign off, "Sincerely" with your name, phone number and email address.

Some employers wait for the potential employee to ask for the job and if they don't ask, it's not offered. They are looking for initiative.
    eda medina Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2012, 05:27 PM
    I have similar question. I interviewed with the plant manager for a job. He then brought me back to interview with 6 managers. He the called me and told me that he and his tem liked me for their team. Now, I'm flying to Illinois (all ezpenses paid)to meet with corporate, the HR Director and the staff. Do I assume I got the job? Why would they spend so much money? Also, only two people were considered but the other was not bi-lingual. Any comments.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2012, 08:17 PM
    I would treat the trip as a final round of interviews. It may just be a formality but be on your best behavior and be prepared for these meetings, just as much as you were for the prior interviews.

I would think in the meeting with HR they will outline policies and so on and will make a formal offer. Some companies will spend the money to fly a few people in for interviews - it's a lot cheaper than hiring the wrong person would be.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who do you call when your job won't give you your check [ 6 Answers ]

My previos job is refusing to give me my last check because I did not work on a sat. wich was after I told them in the beging of the week that I was not going to be able to come in that day because I had a wedding that I had to go to. So I am just wondering what I can do to get paid for mon....

Desperate for a Job [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, My name is Sri & I’m living in Australia Melbourne for about six years. After coming to Australia I was so lucky that I found a job in ANZ bank straight away & been working since then. Now unfortunately things have gone wrong & now my job will be redundant & would be moving to another...

Does a potential new job have to call my current one? [ 2 Answers ]

I am unhappy at my current job and I think I want to start looking into another firm or even a different field altogether. My question is, if I fill out applications or go on interviews and specify that I am still working at my latest job, will they call and confirm employment or ask questions....

Girl went to a job for a week but she doesn't call me [ 4 Answers ]

I was at work when my girlfriend called me telling me she is going to a job far away with her brother and her sister in law (maybe 3 to 5 hours away) she told me that they are going to rent a house there because its too far. I got kind of upset about it and I told I can't talk right now and to...

Would you call this Job Discrimination? [ 8 Answers ]

I live in NJ and my company is now based out Illinois. I applied for a new position back in the beginning or November. I was told that I would have an answer back in about 2 weeks. Well it took them just over 2 months to get back to me. I was told that our HR department would not tell me that I...

View more questions Search