Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    quynhh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2011, 08:49 PM
    Fossil Extraction Question
    I'm a high school student doing a research experiment. I've decided to test different acids on fossil shards and see which one does the most effective job of dissolving the rock without damaging the fossil. My question is, what acid is currently being used and why?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 7, 2011, 03:12 AM

As much debris as possible is removed from a fossil bone with mechanical means, i.e. high speed engraving pen normally used to engrave metal. These pneumatic pens do not harm the bone.

The fossil bone is then immersed in a solution containing 5 percent acetic acid for three days, then in water for six. Acetic acid is best because it is organic and not chemical.

Tick
    quynhh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2011, 06:15 PM
    Thank you for your answer. Do you have any suggestions as to how I can go about my experiment in terms of my method or variation of acids, or even if I have a chance of finding anything that is at all effective other than acetic acid? Unfortunately, I don't have time to go conduct extensive research until Monday and I need to know fairly soon if I can make this experiment work within the confines of a high school laboratory. I will be using relatively small fossil shards.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 9, 2011, 02:57 AM

I don't know how you can improve, by testing, a system that has worked for years. I don't think you can find any other organic acids than acetic acid. Any other chemical acid strong enough to remove rock will destroy the bone as well.

Tick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fossil Identification [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I found this fossil on the west coast of a Panama. Can you tell me what it is?

A geologist finds a fossil in a rock layer. The fossil has been dated and the approxi [ 1 Answers ]

A geologist finds a fossil in a rock layer. The fossil has been dated and the approximate age of the fossil has been placed at 10,000 years old. What can the geologist assume about the rock layer based on this data and what principle supports this assumption?

Licence for fossil hunting [ 1 Answers ]

Hello ,do you have to have a licence or be in a part of an accociation to fossil hunt in south america, if so how do you get a licence?

Fossil fuels [ 1 Answers ]

Illustrating the economic importance of fossil fuels, with examples form the petroleum and petrochemical industries in Alberta; analyzing using chemical principles, the refining of hydrocarbons; and investigating careers related to the energy industry ?? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

View more questions Search