Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2011, 02:51 PM
    When others assume you share their political views
    I am interested in knowing how others handle it when they are in a social situation in which other people wrongly assume your agreement with their social or political views. This happens to me quite often in part because I live in a city where politics are a bit of a local obsession. I never bring the topic up, but it often is brought up by others.

My usual response is, "Actually we're not in agreement on that, but I'm interested in your viewpoint". It goes over like a lead balloon.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 6, 2011, 03:02 PM

Its unfortunate that life didn't come with an ignore button. But the plain truth is that your opinion is just that. It belongs to you. And if others wish to miss out on the mental stimulation of debate then they aren't worth it. Im not saying to be a snob but the only real way to debate is to agree in the first place. What that agreement is come from the fact that on some things your just going to have to agree to disagree. It's that simple. Its not about winning. It sounds like the circle your in at those times really does think its about winning. To me it sounds like whinning on their part. There really is nothing you can do about it except move on to the next prospect.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2011, 03:07 PM

I'm sure your right but it's unfortunate. The way I see it, we have five pillars of our law - the three branches of government, free press, and our right to freely talk about, meet about and express divergent views in public. It seems the press is dying, and the intolerance between parties is at an all time high. I know many people who claim to be very "open minded" and to be affiliated with the more "open minded" party per their view, but they will not even listen to radio or TV programs or channels, or to friends or relatives, which express an alternate view. I often find too that these individuals cannot back up there opinions - I don't go out of my way to challenge them, but even the most innocuous questions like, "that doesn't sound accurate to me - where did you hear that" evokes angry and dismissive responses. These are highly educated, intelligent people who are reasonable on other matters. I don't care if they agree with me but I think it's sad they cannot even consider that someone might have more to add to the discussion.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What shall I assume [ 18 Answers ]

Hi! I met this person online on a dating site and talking and chatting with this person for a long 6 months time, decided to meet. Everything went fine and we got very close physically. But on my last day with him, he was more into his office work and talking to his friend. As soon as I came...

A Political Joke from a Non-Political Person, LOL [ 5 Answers ]

Hi... thought this was funny and wanted to share it with all of you... A little boy goes to his dad and asks, "What is politics?" Dad says, "Well son, let me try to explain it this way: I am the head of the family..so call me the President..... Your mother is the administrator of the...

View more questions Search