Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tjpapa Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

Jan 23, 2007, 11:21 AM
    Lawn-mower blowing black smoke upon cold pull
    I have a Yard Machine push mower purchased new from home depot about 1.5 years ago. I keep it well oiled and it get used about once a week. Lately it's been working at about 75% and upon the first pull, black smoke comes out of the exhaust. I put new oil in a few weeks ago but not sure if that's the probably. Does it need a tune up or something else?

Thanks,
    TJ
    bikerguy Posts: 87, Reputation: 13

Jan 23, 2007, 11:51 AM
    Going with the obvious, sound like you put tooo much oil in it. Read the manual. Its time to replace it anyway. Get fresh clean oil in there
    Frank

Jan 23, 2007, 11:57 AM
    Yeah I might have put too much oil in there. I think it was about half a bottle. Maybe I'll drain it all and put new oil in there.
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

Jan 23, 2007, 10:52 PM
    Check your air filter it may be oil soaked or just plugged, this will cause a rich run with black smoke and a power drop.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2007, 11:45 PM
    Black smoke is too much gas... white to blue is oil...

DO check the air filter...

Jan 31, 2007, 09:14 AM
    The air filter was complete glogged, so I cleaned it thoroughly. I also drained the oil and added new oil because last time oil was added, the old stuff was not removed. Now it works like new. Thanks for the tips.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2007, 11:35 PM
    Ok, now for that air filter... if its paper, replace it (once a year, just like a car, you'll get better performance and less gas usage if you change it regularly) if its foam... and over 2 years old, replace it, make sure to oil foam filters...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace sometimes blowing cold air [ 7 Answers ]

We bought a brand-new house in May 2002. This winter (I don't think it happened last winter) when it got really cold outside, the furnace blew cold air. When it warms up outside, it starts blowing warm again. We had someone come and look at it and he told us it had a 30 degree heat pump?? And when...

Pull cord won't pull on Murray 2.0 mower [ 7 Answers ]

I have a Murray/Briggs 6.0 engine mower and the pull cord is sticking. It will stop after pulling about 4 inches. Then if I jiggle the pull cord it will extend another 4 inches. I can see a plastic piece that seems to be stopping it at every four inches. What is causing this and what is the repair...

Furnace blowing cold air [ 3 Answers ]

Ruud oil furnace blowing cold air, fan running constantly

2000 Nissan Maxima blowing smoke [ 4 Answers ]

My 2000 Maxima blows smoke when I start it up! The longer the engine runs the more smoke it will blow when restarted. For example, if I just drive around the block and back, nothing! However if I drive say 10 miles or so, it will blow at restart. This condition will completely exaust the oil...

92 Honda Civic - black smoke for a few minutes after starting on a cold day [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Honda Civic 92 with twin cabi. In the past few months, every morning the engine starts normally for a few minutes, then the black smoke comes out of the exhaust, at the same time the idle is dropping and the engine is shacking. These symptoms appeared at the same time. If I rip up the...

View more questions Search