Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nduverna Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2011, 09:03 AM
    Can get community service of I can't pay probation?
    I'm on probation for a year and own 1500 dollars in fines, driving on suspended license. My daughter is only 4 weeks old. I have to pay 153.00 a month and I can't find a job anywhere. On top of this, I have 3 other children and no one around to care for them, my boyfriend works 2-10pm. Is there any way I can get the judge to trade my fines for community service? This is the second time I was fined this; unfortunately, I was unaware that once you're off probation you don't get you license back that quick or easily.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2011, 09:27 AM

SOME of this depends on the State. You CANNOT in NY. There is no "trading" this for that.

Have you talked honestly with your PO? It would appear that the final decision is going to be that you AGREED to these terms instead of going to jail. If you want to trade probation for jail time, you can probably do that.

I understand you have young children. I don't think the Court is going to be sympathetic.

$1,500 for driving on a suspended license is a very heavy fine in my State. What were the circumstances of the first suspension?

That could make a difference.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 6, 2011, 10:30 AM

First that should have been asked when the sentence was being given, Often, no since many times it is community service plus fines.

Normally you can trade fines and probation for time in jail, often they will put you on a work detail to earn small funds to pay off fines. I have a family member in south GA doing that right now, he will be out about July after getting things paid off from working on the chain gang ( slang for work detail)

But making a motion for this to the court and asking for a hearing is about the only way to know for sure
    nduverna Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2011, 08:58 AM
    Comment on JudyKayTee's post
    There were none for the first. I was driving and was pulled over (speeding) and arrested (suspended license) because I was unaware, the first time. As far as my children, I know they don't care. I will speak to my PO when I report. I can't afford to do jail time, however, getting up everymorning and doing community service is better than taking away from my family, money wise.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

So I'm not on probation but I didn't do community service hours what could court do [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, so my boyfriend is 19 got arrested juanary 14 2011 accused for apptemted murder for November 19 2010. The cops from irwindale came to his mom house and rated the house which they found him in there. The cops took him without even reading his Miranda Rights. The next day juanary 15 he gets court...

Can I get off probation early if I pay all fines and finish community service? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm on probation for 18 months for a class 6 undesignated felony (resisting arrest) and I am already in it for two and half. I am having trouble finding work due to my education level and transportation issues. I have the funds to pay off my probation fees in full and I am going to finish...

I'm on probation for a misdemeanor.. I missed two days for community service [ 2 Answers ]

I'm on probation for a misdemeanor.. I have completed drug classes and paid my fines off.. I was ordered to do 40 hours of community service.. I did 8 hrs and didn't not show up for 2 weeks.. I did call community service number to say I was sick. I went to to community service today and they said...

I live in Florida and have violated dui probation by not completing community service [ 1 Answers ]

I did not complete all terms of my probation. I did not pay all court costs on time and also did not complete community service. Should I expect jail time? Should I bother with completing probation terms if I will be serving time anyway? This is my only dui but I have a poor driving record. I live...

Community Service [ 3 Answers ]

This may sound stupid and all but, a few months ago I came across a dog that was being badly abused and starved... so I notified the animal cops. It has been a few months now and the dog is still left to die, they did nothing about it. Well... I now find myself wanting to do something, like...

View more questions Search