Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kayjay Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2007, 10:28 AM
    Credit Report - vacated lien
    I recently received a "Notice of Pending Warrant Vacate in Part" letter from the NYS Tax Department. This relates to my being awarded Innocent Spouse Relief on a joint tax filing that determined I overpaid my share of the taxes and gave me a refund. So basically, the State Tax Dept. has said that they will remove my name from the warrant. My question is - Will this lien still stay on my credit report? If so, how will it be listed?

Thanks in advance!
    Dwight_Pigg Posts: 26, Reputation: 3

Jan 25, 2007, 12:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kayjay
    I recently received a "Notice of Pending Warrant Vacate in Part" letter from the NYS Tax Department. This relates to my being awarded Innocent Spouse Relief on a joint tax filing that determined I overpaid my share of the taxes and gave me a refund. So basically, the State Tax Dept. has said that they will remove my name from the warrant. My question is - Will this lien still stay on my credit report? If so, how will it be listed?

Thanks in advance!
    If you can prove that you are released with this document, the credit bureau's will update your report to show that. You have to send a copy to each of the 3 bureaus with a letter explaining the situation.
    www.annualcreditreport.com has links to all 3 bureaus.

I hope this helps!
    KMSRyana Posts: 142, Reputation: 26

Jan 25, 2007, 01:05 PM
    In most cases it will remain on your credit for the next 7 years. It will reflect a paid status, but make sure you contact all 3 bureaus to show proof that it is in fact paid. Don't count on the state to automatically fix it for you.

Now, if you can prove that it shouldn't have ever been put on your credit to begin with, then you have the right to have it removed. I'd ask them to remove it either way, but if it was a lien that was justified and it took you longer than 2-4 weeks to satisfy it, then chances are it will still be on your credit. The good thing is that it being shown paid will improve your scores, and most creditors will simply overlook it or pay no attention to it when you apply for credit in the future... as long as it shows paid. So take the steps to make sure it shows up that way.

Good luck.
    kayjay Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2007, 08:00 AM
    Well that's the thing. Technically, it wasn't "paid". Since they determined that my husband and not me was responsible for the tax bill, my liability was zero. But since it had already been filed (the lien), they have said they are going to remove my name from the warrant. I am hoping that this means it will be removed. I am in the process of contacting the CRAs now to get it corrected.

Thanks KMSRyana!
    LibertyChamp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2010, 03:41 AM
    Actually, A Warrant Vacate on a Public Filling item counts the same as a deleted item. The problem is that with some CRA's you practically have to pull teeth for them to take it off. I've also got a Warrant Vacate from NYS at the County Recorders Office and after disputing it three times two of the 3 CRA's have not removed it so I have to File complaints with the FTC and my State AG office. I hope they fine the heck out of them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit report [ 11 Answers ]

On my credit report I have a collection agency that reported first in 1999 Just when that was about to be removed from my credit report they (the collection agency)sold the account to another collection agency who re-reported it and now it will be 7 more years before it will be removed.it is the...

Credit report [ 4 Answers ]

Does anybody now where to get a free credit report and score when you have no credit card to give them Thank you Demon

Credit report help [ 2 Answers ]

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania I was listed as an authorized user on a family member's credit card. This account has turned into a collection account and I found out that it has affected my credit report negatively. I want to get the fact straight before I decide whether I want to...

Credit Report [ 4 Answers ]

When I went to refinance out of my ARM the mortgage firm I delt with said that I had some things on my credit report that shouldn't be there.. What steps do I take to rid this problem?

Credit Report [ 2 Answers ]

If you purchase a vehicle at a buy here pay here lot and they don't view your credit to get this vehicle can they report a repossession on your credit report years after the vehicle was taken back?

View more questions Search