Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tmtrotminor Posts: 38, Reputation: 15

Apr 5, 2011, 02:23 PM
    A fear of death
    I feel as though my life, up until about 4 years ago was very depressing, and hardly worth living. I used to cut myself, and even plotted suicide at one point. Then, I began dating the man of my dreams. He has become my everything, and our relationship is so beautiful. We got married a few months ago, and I started going to school for a computer science. Which, by the way, took forever for me to decide on. I enjoy my life now, more than ever before, and I really don't know how much happier I can be.
    Now, because I have so much to live for, I fear something bad's going to happen. Like, I'm going to die, or he will. It started as a simple thought, which led to me being sad about it. Now, it's to the point where I literally feel as though I am going to live a short life. When people talk about the future, I literally think to myself that I won't be there. And now, recently, it's gotten to the point where a sound, a feeling or anything will cause me to imagine a death that starts this way. For example, I was driving the other day, and I felt a vibration on the back of my head when I was laying my head on the seat, I literally imagined that I had a tumor erupting in my brain that would make me lose my vision and I would lose control of the car, crash and die. Also, when the whole tsunami happened in Japan, we got warnings here (in California , channel island area). Well, my husband works like 50 feet from the ocean, and all I could think about all day was how he would die from a tsunami. It was that day that I decided to make a promise with him that if anything were to ever happen to either one of us, that the other would take that pain and work twice as hard to advance technology and make a better tomorrow. This helps, but I can't stop my imagination. I'm pretty sure I also have nightmare disorder due to the vivid nightmares I have almost every night. This is just saying that my imagination can be very annoying.

I've also decided, no matter what, I will fight it. I'll be like that patient with so many injuries that the doctor won't believe how I survived it. That's kind of how I've always been.

I just need a way to get a handle on my wild imagination. Any advice will be helpful. Thanks!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 5, 2011, 04:51 PM

Have you been seen by a Physician for this problem? Diagnosed?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 5, 2011, 07:08 PM

It is time for professional help. It appears it is starting or already effecting your daily life. In fact many people ( like myself) prefer to live each day like it may be our last, to leave life to the fullness.
    tmtrotminor Posts: 38, Reputation: 15

Apr 6, 2011, 05:41 PM

Thanks for the answers. I am going to seek a professionals help soon. I do feel as though I live my life to the fullest everyday, and I enjoy every minute of it! The only thing is, I haven't reached my career goals, and I work so hard to get there, so it sort of adds tension..

And I have not been diagnosed with Nightmare disorder, but I do have nightmares on average of 4-5 times a week, and have since I was little.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Death Certificate - Cause of Death Recorded Incorrectly [ 8 Answers ]

Is it common practice to write down on the death certificates the wrong reason for cause of death? And if so, why do doctors do that? This happen to my dad a few weeks ago and I'm just trying to understand. Thanks in advance, Scott

Fear of death [ 5 Answers ]

Hi everybody , Straightly speaking I am having intense fear of death from my childhood days now I am 26 day by this fear is getting increase specially I afraid of heart attack I am losing interest in life day by day I don't know what to do where to go please any one can help me.

Fear Of Death Also [ 12 Answers ]

I Have A Fear Of Death. I Have Had It For Many Years It Makes Me Not Want To Go To The Doctor Because I Feel Something Might Be Wrong And He Will Find Some Disease Or Something. I Know This Might Sound Funny But It Has Been Going On For Many Years And I Am Constantly Trying To Free Myself Of...

Death and credit card death. [ 3 Answers ]

My father recently died leaving enough money to pay off most of his debts,but not all.I contacted those credit card companies that there no funds to pay and informed them of my father's death and that there were no assets to pay these debts.I soon received a letter (from american express) asking to...

Death and credit card death. [ 1 Answers ]

My father recently died leaving enough money to pay off most of his debts,but not all.I contacted those credit card companies that there no funds to pay and informed them of my father's death and that there were no assets to pay these debts.I soon received a letter (from american express) asking to...

View more questions Search