Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    prestff Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2011, 01:07 PM
    How to seal aluminum pation cover
    My patio cover is leaking where it is attached to the house, how do you fix it.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2011, 03:30 PM
    The cover is aluminum with all aluminum edging?

The house fascia SHOULD be higher than the edging if it was installed correctly(to allow the water to pass over the drip edge and on to the top.)

If it was not installed this way,(or even to the roofline) a flashing will need to be installed,one which transitions the house roof to the patio cover.

The new flashing should only be hard nailed to one surface,either the house(which is the normal way) or to the cover,but never both.The 2 rooflines move differently(horizontally) with heat and cold,that causes ripples in the flashing if both are hard nailed(eventually causing it to fail)

Use high strength silicone caulk on the base of the flashing after the upper part is hard nailed UNDER the shingles(or whatever the roof consists of)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How should I cover/seal black mastic? [ 8 Answers ]

My basement floor had tiles that turned out to have some asbestos content. I didn't realize what I was dealing with until I had almost completely removed the tiles. I'm left with 'black mastic' on the concrete that may or may not contain asbestos. I'm planning on re-finishing the basement and...

Aluminum main panel to copper sub panel with aluminum wire? [ 7 Answers ]

I am upgrading branch wires in a house from aluminum to copper. Replacing all boxes... switch/outlet/receptacle/lighting, etc.. The house currently has a main panel (or lug not sure which.. maybe lug because there is no "main" breaker) next to the meter. The main panel is aluminum rated and has...

Junction box cover plate seal [ 4 Answers ]

My question concerns sealing a box cover to the junction box. I saw reference to this on a home improvement show. Also, some junction boxes are visible on the lower level near the parking garage of the building where I work, and I can see some type of sealer that oozed out between the box and...

I got a 91 civic I changed the cap dirsderb roter,plugs,wires,valve cover gasket,seal [ 1 Answers ]

I got a 91 civic I changed the cap dirsderb roter,plugs,wires,valve cover gasket,seals,and still the car don't want to run good. Once I turn it on after a few minutes the check engine light turns on then when I drive it I could only pick up the speed to 75mph. When I shift in the gears I can't rev...

If 8.1g of aluminum metal occupies 3.0mL, what is the density of aluminum? [ 1 Answers ]

If 8.1g of aluminum metal occupies 3.0mL, what is the density of aluminum?

View more questions Search