Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marburg Posts: 23, Reputation: 2

Jan 23, 2007, 08:53 AM
    Emachine T2885 not getting any power
    An Emachine T2885 was brought to me with what appeared to be a simple power supply problem. I was told the PC problem occurred after a massive power outage in town. The PC supposedly came back on when the power came back, then shut down and would not power up afterware. Emachine tech support told owner the problem was bad powersupply.

The power supply was replaced with a known good power supply. Pressing on the power button does not turn the machine on. The light on the motherboard comes on, no fans, no device lights, nothing else is on.

Disconnected cd-rw, cd-rom, hd, floppy, reseated memory and still nothing.

I'm thinking the motherboard may be blown.

I'm also not really sure the setting for jumper J9G1 is correct.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Marburg
    abaka Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2007, 02:35 PM
    Did you check the connection from the power on switch to Mobo. Remove the connection shorten the connection with screw drive see the CPU fan on...

Jan 23, 2007, 02:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by abaka
    Did you check the connection from the power on switch to Mobo. Remove the connection shorten the connection with screw drive see the CPU fan on...
    Hi,

Thanks for your answer. Yes, I did. The CPU fan does not come on. The only thing that comes on is the light on the mobo. No CPU fans, no power supply fans, no device lights, no hard drive spin up, etc. Nothing.

The one thing that has me is the jumper setting to the mobo for cmos doesn't look right but without a schematic for this unit I can't tell for sure.

Marburg
    abaka Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2007, 04:34 PM
    Yes clear CMOS and see

Good Luck

Jan 25, 2007, 02:32 PM
    Well, clearing CMOS didn't help. Still dead.
    norton18 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Feb 1, 2007, 07:01 PM
    I had this same machine dropped off to me today. Same symptoms. If you are using a standard ATX psu try jumping the Power Ok wire(Green) to ground and the system will most likely start up. I had to do this to make the one I have power up. One thing I noticed on the PSU that I pulled from the machine was that it has an extra wire(Pink) that is not used in a standard ATX PSU. I assume that this makes the Emachines PSU not standard. I have not researched it yet but if anyone has any more info on this it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Feb 2, 2007, 06:59 AM
    Thank you Norton18.

I will try that this weekend and post back here whether that worked.

Marburg
    norton18 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Feb 4, 2007, 05:48 PM
    I think a standard ATX will probably work. It turns out that I was able to jump the old power supply and make it work. Must be a problem with the motherboard because I also jumped out the power switch for the computer and it still wouldn't start without crossing the green and black wires on the PSU. I noticed that the capacitors next to the CPU socket are bulging and starting to leak. I have seen this many times with motherboards and I don't think it is going to last much longer anyway. I will most likely replace both the mobo and psu. Hope this info is helpful to you. Thanks

Feb 7, 2007, 08:26 AM
    Thanks Norton 18. Yes you have been very helpful. Unfortunately jumping the psu didn't work. I think the mobo is dead.
    jessicici Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2009, 12:42 AM
    Norton 18, I'm having motherboard issues as well. My issues are exactly, without a doubt, identical to marburgs. My boyfriend is trying to fix the computer and he figured out that it's the motherboard that's having the problems.
    What did you mean by "If you are using a standard ATX psu try jumping the Power Ok wire(Green) to ground and the system will most likely start up." ?
    Im hoping that will help...
    Thankyouu.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No sound on emachine T3120 [ 4 Answers ]

I keep finding an unknown multi media device and can assume this is the sounddrivers I tried searching the e machine site and couldn't find the drivers for the comp or even the model of the sound card( it has onboard audio)I really need the sound back on this computer especially since it is not my...

Car won't start, no click and no power to radio, power window or locks [ 6 Answers ]

After installing a new starter on a 1999 2WD Explorer it will not start. There is no click when trying to start it, its just dead, and the radio, power locks/windows, a/c, and dash light don't work but the interior lights work and so do the headlights. We've had the starter checked to make sure...

Single phase power vs. Three Phase Power [ 1 Answers ]

Is there any real difference in efficiency and cost between a single phase air conditioning unit and a three phase unit? Thanks, JPGREEN

Power comes and goes ALL BY ITSELF [ 5 Answers ]

To whomever can help me. I replaced my panel box about 5 years ago and head it inspected by the county inspector. I passed the inspection and all has worked well. The last month or so I have had power problems. The lights and power outlets would flicker like their wasn't enough power getting...

No AC Power [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, The AC in one my rentals would not come on so I checked all the wiring to see if something was loose, it wasn't. I crossed several combinations and when I plugged the blue wire to the Y terminal the system shut off completely. I bought a new heat pump thermostat but once plugged in, it...

View more questions Search