Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Griewe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2007, 08:40 AM
    Paying the Back Taxes on a house instead of buying it
    [F]Hi my name is Tina from Missouri,

My husband and I are looking to buy a house and I know there is a way that we can pay the back taxes on a house instead of the price they are selling it at. Where do I start, and what do I do. I have no clue where to look or who to talk to and if there are any in the area I am looking at to live.

Thanks,
    Tina
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 23, 2007, 08:18 PM
    Hello, you don't really "just pay the back taxes" what you do is go to the county ( government) auction where the county tax dept sells the property at auction. The bid starts at the tax due. So you bid against other bidders for the home. If you are the high bidder, you go into the court house and pay for the home. I think in MO ( but not sure) you get a receipt TAX Certificate, it gives you right to the home after a certain period ( 1 or 2 years) if the past owner does not buy it back during that period (plus interest) then you turn that certificate back in for a special deed from the county.

There are some states that give you deed at the time of the sale. I believe MO has a period for redemption.

But if you go down to the county tax dept they can give you the detail.

Each county normally has a sale about once a year. They advertise them in the legal sections of news papers.

Now don't expect to get a 300,000 home for 1000, that just does not happen but you can get some deals

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Paying Cash for a House.. [ 12 Answers ]

Hello, Group! I have poor credit due to events of a worker's comp injury. I have my settlement but cannot get a mortgage (except for very lousy 30-year 9% mortgage from a lender with 50% down) because of my poor credit, even though I have enough to buy the house outright which is $200,000. Should...

H1B paying taxes on W2 and 1099 [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H1-B status, i.e. I am being paid by my Employer for which I will be paying taxes on W2 Form. I got an opportunity to earn money legally for my services using 1099 form. Am I allowed to pay taxes for the earned income using both W2, 1099 being on H1 B status? I apreciate your...

Paying Cash for a House.. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Group! I have poor credit due to events of a worker's comp injury. I have my settlement but cannot get a mortgage (except for very lousy 30-year 9% mortgage from a lender with 50% down) because of my poor credit, even though I have enough to buy the house outright which is $200,000. Should...

Paying taxes on inherited annuity [ 1 Answers ]

My brother and I were beneficiary of an annuity. I understand we pay taxes on the taxable amount listed in box 2a of the 1099. My question is... do I treat this as income adding it to myearned income and possibly raising my tax bracket, or do I pay taxes based on the earned income bracket? ...

H1B, employer not paying withheld income taxes [ 3 Answers ]

I know that my employer isn't paying the income taxes that he withholds from my salary. Does that affect my situation regarding my H1B? I mean in the application it says that I should be paid a certain salary to have this Visa and if the taxes that are withheld are not paid it will look like I have...

View more questions Search