Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RLCSGT Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2011, 11:43 AM
    Need an Excel Formula!
    Hi, I know this will probably be easy to most of you? But I need to have a formula so that I can show amount of hours allocated to a task in collumn A amount used in Collumn B and the totals in Collumn C However I want it to work whether the Collumn A is greater or lower than collumn B and show this with either a + or - sign.
    So for example:

Collumn A hours Allocated = 580
    Collumn B hours Used = 540
    Collumn C = -40

or

Collumn A Hours allocated = 580
    Collumn B Hours Used = 620
    Collumn C = +40

and so on!

All help greatly appreciated.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Apr 4, 2011, 01:58 PM

=sum(a?-b?)

The ? Indicated the cell number. You would need to format your cells to display the positive and negative as you like.

I used Open Office spreadsheet which is a free version very similar to Excel. It gives the minus (-) sign on negative automatically but does not give the plus (+) sign.

Hope that helps.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Apr 4, 2011, 02:52 PM

Use the formula shown, then apply a custom number format to that cell of +0;-0.

In C1, then copied downward:

=B1-A1

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Excel formula [ 15 Answers ]

Download Attachment, first. I need: -If B14=empty, then A and D colones both empty -If only B14=selected, then A14=TREZOR, D14=1, D15=1, bold underline between C14-L14 and C15-L15, others A and D empty -If B14=selected and B15=selected, then A14=TREZOR, A15=-II-, D14=1, D15=1, D16=2,...

Excel formula [ 1 Answers ]

I have more questions about excel formula. In one column I have data appearing, as either a 1 or 2, at random as I input it. Each column has around 120 rows. In the row at the bottom I created a formula to calculate how often, on average, the data appears in that column. 1st how do I get each row...

Excel formula [ 3 Answers ]

I am using Excel 2007. I have 2 Sheets. In first sheet there are 3 coloumns, first one contains the employes number, second coloumn contains the name of employes and third one contains the department he works in. In the second sheet I have drop down list of the names of employes and the...

Excel Formula [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have come across another problem with my spreadsheet. I have tried quite a few different ways to do it but can't get any of them to work. Within my spreadsheet I have a quote price and a forcasted date. However when a order is definitely received then a sale price and a new date is put into...

Excel formula [ 3 Answers ]

I have a column that you manually enter a number; either 0 (zero) or any number greater than zero. I have another column with the formula of: =DAYS360(AN22,AQ22) If the resulting formula figure/number is greater than the manually entered number then I want a third column to equal: $0.00 But...

View more questions Search