Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rafountain Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2011, 06:08 AM
    Tiling over an existing mud wall
    My shower is original to the house (1950) and has a mud wall with 4" pink and black tiles over it. I want to re-tile the shower and update the fixtures. None of the tiles are loose or broken. By using a flat tool I am able to pop off the tiles without damaging the mud wall. The mud is surprisingly strong and in excellent condition. I would like to re-tile directly onto the existing mud... can I do that? Do I need to prep the wall at all if the surface is smooth and free of cracks or holes? The bathroom project would go from easy to very difficult if I need to remove the existing mud. Any help/advice is appreciated.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Apr 4, 2011, 06:29 AM
    I just finished a total removal of a bathroom like you are describing.

HE** on earth,,

The walls are most likely wire meshed inside this cement/mortar mixture,the ability to remove the tiles may prove difficult as you do the entire room,I hope not,but be prepared.

IF! The walls are somewhat smooth(meaning less than 3/8th inch) and the cracks don't make tiles loose,(you can fill the cracks with a good polymer mortar),the skim coat you will have to apply for the new tiles will bring the walls out about 1/4 inch further than what you have now(@3/8" tile thickness and @1/8th" thin-set minus the thickness of the old tiles)

Areas to help you decide what to do and where.

The edges need to be as close to smooth as possible, I have used a belt sander to smooth the wall to ensure the area is even.

Around any fixture/ledge,etc... make sure these are almost 100% smooth,one tile sticking up and 3 laying down looks terrible.Things get caught,soap builds up,water back's up and causes all kinds of problems... etc.You get the point.

The skim coat can 'fix' some of the differences in the wall but not all.. I worked with a skilled(10+ years in the trade) installer and he was stumped sometimes,imagine what a novice installer would go through?

If your tub will allow for this extra depth,I saw go for it,but try some first.
    rafountain Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2011, 06:56 AM

Thanks KBC. I appreciate the info. The tiles don't come off easily... thin putty knife and a few well placed whacks with a hammer. The mud is thick and adhered firmly to wire mesh with what looks like an aluminum backing attached to the studs. Very solid construction. No flaking or looseness in the mud. No water seepage or mold whatsoever. I have a cast iron tub that is also in good condition and plan to tile up from that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to replace the existing wall outlet that is attached to a wall switch? [ 2 Answers ]

I wanted a new type of outlet. A friend said that he could change it. He did. The outlet works, but it doesn't work with the wall switch like it did before the new one. I know the wires are connected wrong... what's right?

Ceiling light using existing wall switch that currently controls a wall outlet plug? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a bedroom wall outlet plug that is currently switched on/off by an existing wall swtich. I want to set up that switch to turn a new ceiling light on/off and leave the wall plug controlled also by the wall switch. Is this possible and safe to have the existing wall switch control both the...

Running in wall Coaxial Cable from Existing wall [ 7 Answers ]

Hi there, Is there someone here who is expert on electrical? I need help on running coaxial cable to my existing walls. I have a 1st floor where I have access to drilling holes into the second floor. I am willing to cut open holes for installing the single gang boxes. Now, here are my...

Tiling an existing shower pan [ 4 Answers ]

I have a plastic shower pan that has raised fiberglass/plastic lines about 1/2" wide for extra traction running towards the drain in a star pattern. This is the type of plastic pan that builders will put in and that you can buy a replacement at Home Deopt for around $150. We want to tile the...

View more questions Search