Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SHAUN_MCJAY Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2011, 03:47 AM
    poisson distribution with parameter lander then E(X)=VAR (X)= LANDER
    show that if a random variable (x) has a poisson distribution with parameter (lander),i.e. x~p(0) then e(x)=var(x)
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

Apr 4, 2011, 01:31 PM

Shaun, I think you mean parameter "lambda" (). :)

For a Poisson distribution, we have the following:

To find the mean (a.k.a. expected value) we compute E(x):

Notice that when x=0, the argument of the sum is 0, so we can start our summation at 1 instead. Also notice that the x in front of the fraction cancels one of the x's in the factorial in the denominator, so we can rewrite the above expression as follows:

Now if we substitute y=x-1, we can rewrite the equation again:

Since is a constant, we can factor a lambda out of the summation.

Now notice that the summation term is exactly the Poisson distribution! Like all probability density functions, the sum (or integral for PDF's that work for continuous values) of all possible values of x from 0 to infinity is always, always equal to 1. This is a fundamental property of PDFs. The same is true of a Gaussian or binomial or any other distribution - the total area under the curve is always 1!

Hence, the summation in the above equation is identically equal to 1 so we have

Now let's move on to the variance. Recall the definition of variance:

We already know , but we need to compute . We can do that by first recognizing that

Again, we already know what E(X) is, so we simply need to compute E(X(X-1)).

Employing a similar strategy to what we did before, now notice the argument of the summation goes to zero for both x=0 and x=1. Also, the x(x-1) terms cancel out part of the factorial in the denominator, so we can rewrite the expression as:

Now substituting in y=x-2 we have

Factoring out a from the summation, we now have

Once again, this summation is identically equal to the Poisson distribution function, so it's value is equal to 1. Hence

Finally, we have

Which means

galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2011, 07:12 AM

Sweet. I would give you a greenie, but it won't let me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What does parameter incorrect mean? [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to download an ebook and the message I receive is the parameter is incorrect. What does that mean?

Poisson Distribution [ 1 Answers ]

Could anyone please suggest on this problem on Poisson Distribution .The problem is that the population in a city is 30000 and that 0.. 1 in each 1000 of the case the accident occurs at random so this is a Poisson Dist. with Lambda = 0.0001*30000=3. One way in which this rate can change is -...

Poisson rate [ 1 Answers ]

Customer arrive at a two server system at poisson rate 3 per hour.an arrival finding the system empty is equally likely to enter service with either server.an arrival finding one cusomer in the system will enter service with the idele server.an arrival finding two others in the system will wait in...

Quote on 2 1/2 ton Trane XR13 and var spd Trane Blower [ 2 Answers ]

I was just quoted on a 2nd floor A/C replacement, condenser and var speed blower, 2 1/2 ton Trane XR13 with upgrade options. Live in CT Are these prices sane ? Includes removal of old unit, upgrade of refrig line, added insulation on old ductwork - work to be done in walkup attic Quote...

F parameter [ 3 Answers ]

When I try to run check disk, I get the message that the system is NTFS and that the F parameter is not specified, so it will only run in -read only- mode.Is this a problem.. :confused: Thanks

View more questions Search