Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aniruddha0209 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2011, 12:16 AM
    Tax return extension if I am eligible t get refund
    Hi,
    I am eligible to get federal and state tax refund. Last date to file the return of 2010 is April 18th, 2011.
    My paper work will not be ready before 25th of April 2011.
    Do I need to file a extension in my case? Some websites says " There is no penalty for failure to file a tax return if a refund is due".
    Please advice shall I file a extension or not. Currently I am not in USA.

Regards,
    Aniruddha
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 4, 2011, 03:50 AM
    No need to file an extension.

Apr 4, 2011, 04:18 AM
    Hi Thanks.

I also want to apply ITIN for my spouse to get tax benefit. That I need to file before 15-april or that too also I can file later along with tax return form?

If I need to file ITIN before 15th April then can I only file ITIN now and later after getting the ITIN number I can file tax return form 1040-NR?

Please advice.

Regards,
    Aniruddha
    taxesforaliens Posts: 649, Reputation: 117

Apr 5, 2011, 08:09 AM
    You don't have to file for the ITIN before April 18th, you can do that together with your return.

Apr 5, 2011, 08:26 AM
    To file ITIN is there any rule that the person should have stayed I USA for at least 180 days?
    I have to file ITIN for my wife and she stayed in US for 48 days and I stayed for 152 days.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Application for tax return- After extension [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, As suggested, I waited for 5 months & I am passing the Substantial Presence Test by Aug 15 2009. Can you please clarify on how to apply for tax return as married filing jointly. Can I do that directly in turbo tax after AUG 15. Is there any other paper work or remarks to be added as we have...

Tax return- After extension [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, As suggested, I have waited for 5 months & passing the SPT by Aug 15 2009. Can you please clarify on how to apply for tax return as married filing jointly. Can I do that directly in turbo tax after AUG 15. Is there any other paper work or remarks to be added as we have applied for extension?...

Tax Return after filing Extension [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I have filed the tax extension form before April 15 because I came in US by Oct 4 2009 and my family members joined me by Dec 29. To claim family members with the return I would need to file as a resident. I would like to know when I should I file my return, I would need to file the ITIN...

Questions on form 4868 extension for tax return [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I got many helps from this forum. I came US January 2006, and graduated Dec. 2007. I worked from Feb. 2008. From Feb. to Sep. I worked with my OPT and I got H1B in Oct. 2008. I got married. So in order to file jointly, I have to wait until the date I can pass SPT test in 2009. To to...

Am I still eligible for a tax refund? [ 4 Answers ]

I have not been able to work this past year, am I still eligible for a tax refund, and can I still claim my children, ages 17&18?:confused:

View more questions Search