Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    charlie07008 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2011, 07:50 AM
    How to get my german shepherd nicer to visit?
    I have a 6 month old Shepperd mix mostly Shepperd we adopted him from a rescue shelter he is a sweetheart with my two very active toddler ages three and four .I usually have lots of play dates and have family members with children come over to visit.Since we have gotten him our visit are short and not sweet and I even attempted to have have a sleep over with other children and that didn't go well either we had to keep him in his crate or other room because of his barking and attempts to bit he just recently chased neighbor hood children down the street and attempted to bit them because my daughter got to the front door before I did and let him out. He's not violent with us how do I get him to be friendlier to other people? HELP
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 3, 2011, 08:01 AM

Your dog does not see humans as his superior, he thinks he owns some of them and is their "alpha." I can't tell you in the space allowed how to train your dog but he clearly needs training as you do too. I am not trying to insult you as many people just get a dog, fed it and pet it and sometimes luck out with a dog who does not go after anyone. There are many dog training experts out there you should study, Cesar Millan for one. PS for example, never open the door and let the dog go out. You step out to show him you are first, the boss and he always follows you, never leads you.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 3, 2011, 08:06 AM

Do you walk the dog around your neighborhood and go to parks with your dog? Sometimes you need to allow the dog to see that there is a difference between consent and protection from strangers. I agree with ballengerb in that you need to work with the dog more and get some training if you can't do it yourself.
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Apr 4, 2011, 11:41 AM

Socialization is key with dogs. If a dog is not properly socialized with children and other dogs there is a tendency for it to be aggressive.
    An example would be, I know someone with a female bulldog, only a few people were allowed around her, she was not out with other dogs etc and now she is a temperamental vicious dog. She cannot be let out with other dogs at all, she will attack them and 90% of people can not touch her or go near her at all.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to calm my German Shepherd down! [ 3 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I have 2 dogs one of which is 8 and a german shepherd he is a full pedigree and every time a member of my family attempts to leave the house he goes crazy to the extent of biting. I have had my dog since he was 6 weeks old and he was castrated last year which did make a huge...

Help something is wrong with my German Shepherd [ 2 Answers ]

Samathia is my baby. I bought her from a VERY bad breeder, I know that is a lot of the problem. She will be 2 years old in May. She can't get on my bed without crying. Her hind legs hardly work. I know this can be caused by hip dysplasia(?) I give her gluclose, but it doesn't seem to work....

German Shepherd [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I've got a 12 month GSD with quite a few problems. He is very dominant. I can't go near his food bowl when he's eating, when I take him for a walk I have to keep him on a lead otherwise he runs off, if any other dog comes near he tries to attack it. I don't work during the day and I got...

German Shepherd [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 1 1/2 year old male German Shepherd. He is highly socialized and has been through training. He has never had any real aggression other than the barking at strangers when entering the home. He was neutured at six months. Yesterday, I was at a college event outside at the park. A friend...

German Shepherd Training [ 8 Answers ]

I have a German Shepherd pup who like most German Shepherds is very intelligent. I am in the process of training her and I have run into some problems. It seems she get's a little nervous while working and then get's confused and want's to hide or run in circles with her ears back. She is never...

View more questions Search