Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    moorechez67 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2011, 04:02 PM
    CAN'T VERIFY: found Lucien Gauliter Lith. Print in old frame behind another Print
    I was jogging one day and a house down the street was being gutted and I saw a picture in a frame that looked VERY OLD in the dumpster and looked at the artist to see who it was. I thought what the heck and took it up and set it on my porch. When I got home I researched the picture and found out the guy was a studio hand for Norman Rockwell (kind of interesting) but that the picture wasn't worth anything and I thought it was rather ugly. After sitting in my basement for a year I started some spring cleaning and as an artifact of watching too many of those treasure hunter shows on TV, thought I would look and see if there was any money hidden in the picture or something crazy. No money, but did find a really cool lithograph print but I cannot find a picture of it by this artist ANYWHERE online. Here are some pictures:

The print is by Lucien Gautier in the upper right of the print itself it has his signature and the date of 1883. I looked online for prints by him from this same time and they look identical in nature... even down to the way it is titled at the bottom etc. I spend over an hour trying to find images of his work and found none for this print. The title at the bottom is "ROMA. CASTELLO S. ANGELO." Under the print on the right there are two lines, top line says "VERLAG VON STIEFBOLD & Co" with the 'o' in Co being in superscript, and the second line says "BERLIN 1884". Under the print on the lefthand side there are two lines of text and it the top one says "Lucien Gautier del & sculps" with the last 's' in sculps being in superscript. After several line breaks the second line reads "A. Bohl impr"

I am interested to find out anything about this print as I find it peculiar it was in an extremely old frame (the backing is thin pieces of rough wood). This print was the one that was originally in the frame as it is the one that is matted and laid over top of it was a print called 'peaceful waters' by Gene Pehlman who I guess was a studio hand for Norman Rockwell. The frame on the back has a piece of paper that is partially torn off so I cannot read the name of the studio but the first two letters are SH and the rest is gone but under that it says Photographic Art Store, Race Street, NEAR FOURTH CINCINNATI, O.

That is downtown (I live in Cincinnati) and I tried looking online to find out what used to be there with no luck.

Thanks for any and all info about this!

Check out some similar questions!

When I print a .pdf how can I print the name of the document [ 0 Answers ]

I have a lot of pdf's that will be printed out, I need a way to include the document name on the documement when it prints. Can this be done?

I select print from Yahoo email, the lexmark printer Z517 will only print in color [ 1 Answers ]

Just connected a lexmark printer Z517, put a new color and black ink cart in and installed the driver, it won't print in black, color. Part of the black text will not print. Could the black ink cart be bad as I bought it from walmart.

I can print spreadsheets, but I can't print images or text. [ 2 Answers ]

Anytime I try to print a spreadsheet it works. But when I try to print anything else it comes out blurry. What could be causing this?

I have found a print signed are.barnaix wanting to know more. [ 4 Answers ]

I have found a print behind another picture. Artist name is R. barnaix. Print is titled, la fur du hamedu---copyright. 1936. Camilla lucas. The print is in good condition. Is there a real valve? If so where can I find more information abouy the artist.

Print wireless without a print server [ 4 Answers ]

Print wireless without a print server how? My name is bob I have desktop running win xp home ed with a printer. I would like to print to my laptop (wireless) how do I print wireless without buying a print server?:(

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.