Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fishgrlzmom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2007, 09:39 PM
    Middle School Story Problem
    my daughter has this math problem for homework and I can't for the life of me figure out how to do it.

Alex is 35. Burt is 7 and Chris is 5. In how many years will Alex's age be the sum of Burts and Chris's ages?

HELP!:confused:
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2007, 09:51 PM
    Alex will be 58 when Burt is 30 and when Chris 28. Which will happen in 23 years.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2007, 11:18 PM
    letmetellu, the point isn't in the answer, it's in how to do it. Please don't just give answers as that benefits nobody.

fishgrlzmom, you can work it out by forming an equation

35+x = (7+x) + (5+x)

This states that Alex's age (35) plus some number of years x, is equal to Burt's age plus the same number of years x plus Chris' age, plus the same number of years x.
    By solving this equation, we can find the value for x.

then expand brackets:

35+x = 7+x+5+x

then simplify the right hand side

35+x = 12+2x

then minus x from both sides

35 = 12+x

then minus 12 from both sides

23 = x

so, in 23 years the condition will be true, which is the answer given above.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jan 23, 2007, 11:06 PM
    Sorry I gave the answer. But I didn't know that the daughter didn't know how to work the problem. I thought this was just a mother wondering about the question. But one other thing is sometimes if you know the answer it is easier to find a solution to the problem
    jebug29 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2010, 08:23 PM
    I think how would be when Burt and Chris' age can be added together to be what Alex's age will be in that many numbers of years that Burt and Chris' age can be added to get Alex's age.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Caught in the middle [ 30 Answers ]

I have a friend who is a single mother of 3. She is a wonderful lady, super mom, and loving friend. However, she is extremely hung up on one of my husband's friends. My husband's friend James just got out of a rather rocky marriage, and is not really into having a relationship. However, a couple...

Caught in the middle... [ 3 Answers ]

I fell in love with my best friend of 6 years and 1 year ago we finally admitted our love for each other. He dated another girl before me and broke up with her when he realized he loved me instead. I was dating a mutual friend of ours at the time, but broke up with him around the same time. The guy...

Middle Name Crisis [ 1 Answers ]

Hey everyone... sorry I've been MIA. But I'm in a major delimma.. I can't for the life of me find a good middle name. We are having a baby girl and we dicided to name her Emma, but we simply can't find a good middle name, I looked at hundreds of websites but just can't find that one name that fits...

Caught in the middle [ 1 Answers ]

About a month a go I went to a used car dealer and bought a car. In the state of New Hampshire you have to get the car inspected. I went and got it inspected and my mechanic passed it. Well just today while driving my right control wheel broke and thank god I wasn't hurt. I called aaa and had them...

View more questions Search