Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Apr 2, 2011, 10:37 AM
    Panelboard placement!
    Someone needs to throttle some electricians.

I thought my service panelboard is a nightmare, but my Nice really has a winner of an installation

The Service panelboard is installed in a bedroom (very full) closet. The original panelboard used fuses but has since been converted to breakers. It has a main breaker installed.

There are two other panelboards. One is at the opposite end of the home and it serves lights and receptacles (30 amp) in the storage room, dining room and computer alcove. It also feeds a 30 amp panelboard in the garage which serves the entire garage.

They want to add a "Tiki Bar" and feed the new structure off the garage panelboard.

I told her that since the main service panelboard was full we needed to calculate the load she has now before just dumping one or two branch circuits to the proposed Tiki Bar location and that the two small fuse protected panelboards need to be replaced with breaker protected panelboards.

I also told her that the main service panelboard cannot be inside a closet and either the closet has to be relocated or the panelboard needs to be moved.

They think I'm nuts and that the main panelboard is fine where it is.

I suggested they read the code that I showed them and that they ask someone else to help them. Morons!
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2011, 03:47 AM
    Working for or consulting friends and family can be a challenge. Referring to your niece as a moron is a bit harsh. Not a good idea getting the family all upset because they did not listen to your advice. Need to stay focused and objective. Cite Codes and the common sense reasons for that Code. Explain that panels can get hot and create sparks when breakers trip, and that combustibles up close to panels can be a fire hazard.

I have done plenty of work for friends and family, even charged them with deep discounts, but if there is any question, I explain that this is my livelihood and my time and knowledge has a price. Never had one problem. I always give choices, explanations, and proper warnings of what I find and the potential hazards, and let them make the final decisions.

Honestly, I don't get excited over adding a circuit or two, unless my intuition tells me that adding one or two 120 volt circuits can overload a service, which is unlikely. If adding 16 amps to a service breaks the camels back, then there are more serious issues to deal with. When load is added, be sure to refer to NEC Section 220.83.

When I consult, I am always sure of the Code text I am quoting, and have the local inspectors to back me up, ( if they are not consulting with me.)

I see no reason other than convenience and having updated equipment to replace a fuse panel with breakers. If someone cannot be convinced the panel in a closet is a problem, I would simply tell them to check to be sure there are sufficient smoke detectors installed, and move on.

Not getting involved with friends or family sometimes is the best to not have any problems.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Apr 3, 2011, 07:25 AM

T.K.

I did not mention the word "Moron" to my Niece. Had I, there would be pulp on the floor where I had been standing. Tough gal.

My chief concern with the smaller panels is that there is no emergency cut-off switch for either panel.

The panel in the pantry area is not a big concern for me, however the one in the garage is.

First of all, it is buried behind "Stuff". Second, there is no cut-off switch. If something happens, then the only way to kill the power is to unscrew the fuse.

This garage is a workshop, a storage dump. Typical use of the garage.

The main panel is different from what I've seen before. I did some research and it appears to be a "Spark-less" panel-board.

Would that get around the NEC?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to connect 150 amp circuit breaker to a 200 amp panelboard? [ 1 Answers ]

This is a deli stoe that has 2 old Cutler Hammer Panels ( Plug-In breakers not bolt-in Type CH ). Each panel has 200 Amp main breaker . The owner install 10 ton AC & Heat Pump roof unit that needs 150 Amp breaker to feed it . What is the best soluation without changing the panel ? Should I install...

Challenger electrical panelboard [ 4 Answers ]

I am looking for a bus bar for a Challenger SL12 sub panel. Any ideas?

What is the difference between a sub-panel and a panelboard (distribution panel)? [ 10 Answers ]

I have a 200 amp meter/main installed on the outside of my home. I want to install a 100 amp "not sure what you call it" on the outside of the house also. I need to know: 1. What is the correct name of this? 2. Do I separate the neutrals and the grounds? 3. Do I need 3 conductors and a...

How do I add another 200 amp panelboard [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 200 amp panelboard. With the addition of my new workshop, I need to add about 90 additional amps of continuous power for my tools. Can I add panelboard to handle the extra power?

Capacity of old panelboard [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am checking to see if the panelboard in the old building can handle my load (considering a restaurant in this building) The old square-D panelboard label reads: Power <<<< >>>> lights ------------------------------------ 90 << bus amp>> 175

View more questions Search