Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2011, 07:29 PM
    Windows 7 Upgrade
    The hard disk on my Windows XP desk top system failed several weeks ago. I installed a new hard disk; loaded a clean copy of Windows Vista, from my Dell Laptop Reinstallation Disk; and reloaded all program and backup files. Today, Microsoft says the product key is invalid for activation. Apparently, the reinstallation disk was only valid for my laptop. Microsoft no longer sells new activation product keys for Vista, since it is no longer supported. Is it safe to assume that if I buy Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade Family Pack that it will work on my desktop computer?
    Communist Posts: 16, Reputation: 3

Apr 1, 2011, 08:35 PM

Yes, it should work. In fact, I believe it is even possible to install a fresh copy of Windows 7, select the '30 day trial' option whilst installing, and then 'upgrade' from that by reinserting the disk and entering your product key the second time around.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I upgrade windows me to windows xp myself? [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to upgrade to windows xp from windows me.

FYI: Windows 7 Upgrade Paths [ 7 Answers ]

Windows 7 Upgrade Chart *sigh*

Upgrade windows xp home to xp pro [ 2 Answers ]

Would I have any problem upgrading window xp home sp3 to xp pro. Thanks

Windows XP Upgrade? [ 2 Answers ]

Have an old Packard Bell desktop computer w/ Windows 95 os and an HP Invent desktop w/ Windows ME(2000) os. Looking to try to upgrade both with an Windows XP Upgrade os disk. Only to use the Packard Bell for storage if info. Anywhere I can get the step-by-step process as far as what to do to...

Problem with windows xp home upgrade [ 6 Answers ]

I'm trying to share files on a work group no domain(if fails,will try that later),I can see and share files from the home upgrade to xp pro but can't access from xp full install to upgrade? Printers work fine on both but can't dee files from xp pro full? Linksys 4 port DSL connection Tried...

View more questions Search