Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    darnhum11 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2011, 05:25 PM
    Re-address the humming house issue?
    I see this discussion has been closed? Well, I'm opening it again! I have the infamous "humming house" problem now too. I've lived in this house for over 10 years and am the original owner here. Never noticed this sound until about two months ago of 2011. It was winter here in Ajax, Ontario, Canada and the "hum" started waking me up at around 4 in the morning, My first thought was, "Who would be leaving a car engine idling at this hour?". First few nights, I'd waken, irritated, and think about it, then drop off again but upon rising at 6AM the "hum" was still there. I had to conclude it wasn't a car. It sounds like it's going through a pipe or the kind of noise you hear when you make a noise through a cardboard tube. It fluctuates slightly at times but is definitely louder at night and often hardly detectable during the day. At night, I've opened windows, checked outside all doors (and at -4C it is bloody cold to have to do that!)but there's no "hum" outside. (Deceiving too because it does sound like it's coming from outside.)

I've listened to all walls in all rooms and while I can hear the "hum" all around me, it doesn't sound louder through any walls. Tried the "turning off the toilet water supply" thing - nuttin'. Tried turning off the electricity supply, and restoring it, one braker at a time and the "hum" continued throughout the whole process. I checked the water pressure into the house, turned off the water supply in fact and opened all faucets and taps to get the air out but the "hum" continued. I called in the water heater guy (who clearly thought I was crazy). No problem with the water heater. I spoke to my adjacent neighbours. They can't hear anything and neither has a ceiling fan or anything that could cause this sound through the walls. In short, I'm stumped. My next effort will be to consult the city water supplier to see if there could be a problem with the water pressure. Some nights the "hum" is so loud that believe me, anyone could hear it. There IS some truth to the fact that not everyone can hear it but still, there HAS to be some explanation! (and I don't think it's insanity or tinnitus!) It might be some kind of resonance problem but I have no idea who to consult about noise transfer like this. Yikes!
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 1, 2011, 06:30 PM

Well the bottom line is if others really are hearing it?? That would be your first clue as to if it is something internal or external. Another thing you can do to track it down if it is coming from your home is to use a rod and place the rod next to your ear and against the wall. You get a much better transmission of sound that way. If no one else can hear it then it may be internal (tinnitus).

Ref:

Tinnitus Causes, Medications, Treatments, and Remedies by MedicineNet.com
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 1, 2011, 06:32 PM

Also forgot have you checked your refrigerator? They can cause the same sound your describing.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2011, 07:01 PM
    I can hazard a guess.

Dental implants or fillings?

Hearing aids?

Toilet fill valve or flush(flapper) valves?

Furnace pilot light making some kind of vibrations?

You already had the water heater people out,did they check the furnace?

Like califdadof3 said,the refrigerator cycling(defrost cycle)?

A water sump pump in the basement?

What in your past might have contributed to hearing loss(loud concerts,construction,etc?)

Just random thoughts:)

Apr 1, 2011, 07:19 PM
    Well, thanks for your response Califdad but I've had tinnitus with ear infections and this isn't coming from my inner ear. It's not a ringing sound like that. It's a "hum" like a diesel engine. I have a two-year old fridge and the "hum" continues whether it's running or not.

Nope, no question that there is some kind of resonance from something either in the house or maybe a reverberation from some external source. As it is now, I only hear it inside. Used a screwdriver with a plastic handle, as directed from someone else online to listen to the wall- even along some of my pipes - both gas and plumbing. Heard nothing. Very weird but certainly exactly the same kind of thing as I have been reading about all over the net at this point. I have yet to find a plausible explanation. Sure hope that if people find a solution they will report it! Thanks anyway!

Apr 1, 2011, 07:19 PM
    Comment on califdadof3's post
    Well, thanks for your response Califdad but I've had tinnitus with ear infections and this isn't coming from my inner ear. It's not a ringing sound like that. It's a "hum" like a diesel engine. I have a two-year old fridge and the "hum" continues whether it's running or not.

Nope, no question that there is some kind of resonance from something either in the house or maybe a reverberation from some external source. As it is now, I only hear it inside. Used a screwdriver with a plastic handle, as directed from someone else online to listen to the wall- even along some of my pipes - both gas and plumbing. Heard nothing. Very weird but certainly exactly the same kind of thing as I have been reading about all over the net at this point. I have yet to find a plausible explanation. Sure hope that if people find a solution they will report it! Thanks anyway!

Apr 1, 2011, 07:27 PM
    Comment on KBC's post
    Hey... I've ruled all your suggestions out - especially the hearing one! This isn't audible when I go outside or elsewhere so how could it be my ears? No sump in my basement. No sound coming from furnace at all. Already turned off all toilets and checked each one... nuttin'. Dental implants? How would that do anything? (don't have 'em anyway!) Nope, I've already ruled out anything from me... Read somewhere that some people can hear "sounds" that originate "from the earth" though! (And... no, I don't buy that one!) Thanks, though!
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 2, 2011, 05:17 AM

The question you haven't answered is. Are other people hearing it also when the enter your home ?
    humdinger90125 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2011, 02:33 AM
    Hey darnhum11 you are not alone. I hear a low frequency hum too. Both my parents used to hear it years ago and now it's back. They said it was a street transformer hum. I've gone outside numerous times and can't seem to locate the source as it's a non-directional low frequency hum. I know it's external and other people hear it. It's definitely not tinnitus which I have on and off to some degree.

The hum starts at 11:30pm to 1:00 am in the morning and goes until 10:am to 2:pm in the afternoon and would have drive me nuts if I didn't turn the bathroom fan on to drown most of it out.

At times it is so annoying I literally want to use a stick of dynamite to shut the darn thing up (which of course is not really a viable solution)! You are not alone, research on the web has come across numerous results about this issue but as of now for me anyway, no concrete solution. Please let me know if you find an answer! Thank you.

Some links:

The Phenomenon of Low Frequency Hums - http://users.iafrica.com/s/sa/salbu/apollo/HumB.html

Low Frequency Noise Sufferers Helpline - https://guide.glosnhs.net/guide/resource/images/logos/Low%20Frequency%20Noise%20Sufferers%20Helpline.pdf

street transformer low frequency noise coming through walls (Google search) - http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&q=low+frequency+noise+ coming+through+walls&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=#sclient=ps y&hl=en&source=hp&q=street+transformer+low+frequen cy+noise+coming+through+walls&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&p bx=1&fp=1&biw=1920&bih=955&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.& cad=b
    deeb317 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2011, 01:48 PM
    I have had the same hum in my house for about 5 years. I am going crazy too, can't sleep, not everyone hears it. I read that most woman hear low frequecy waves.The guys that came in to fix the problem never hear it! It is sooo frustrating, to say the least.I know its none of the things people always mention. Water,bees, ears, electric etc... I believe it is soung resonating from outside and vibrating my foundation. I have read that gas line operations can cause this seismic waves that can travel for 25-50 miles. I have called my energy company and I want to talk to an engineer about this. I do not believe that anyone will admit to this, but I will keep trying.I live in a rural area and at one time it was very peaceful. I have not had any peace in over 5 years and its time to get to the bottom of this terrible HUM.

Nov 9, 2011, 07:21 PM
    Well, I've been coping with this annoying problem now since last Winter. (I probably heard it before that but I always assumed it was someone running their car!) This whole thing is perplexing. I've written on an engineering forum. I've posed the issue on a home inspectors forum. Both forums eventually blocked me, after several people started talking about the "Taos Hum"... something which, if it's anything like the YouTube version I heard, is nothing like what I'm hearing in my home. I hate that those who can't hear it, assume it doesn't exist. Dogs hear high whistles that humans can't hear. Why isn't it possible that humans have differing hearing abilities?

I have explored every possible solution from gas to electrical to plumbing to venting. No one has an answer and usually they act like "lady, you're nuts!". Believe me, there have been times I've asked myself if I really am hearing this sound... Sadly, it is definitely there. My neighbour can hear it... the wife but not the husband. He thinks we're both nuts too. There are no major pipelines around here but this house is on a gas line. I'm wondering if gas lines DO make a sound that resonates through ductwork etc.. I don't necessarily believe some of these people who say this isn't possible. After all, most of 'em can't seem to hear this sound. It's very low and sometimes not as loud as other times too. I have been able to hear it outdoors when walking the dog but I can't tell where it's coming from. It's really weird.
    Granjan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2012, 09:17 PM
    My issue, that just started tonight must be in my house. Finally, it's masked by the refrigerator that just came on with it's noise.
    My noise is a low frequency and (oh no this will sound nuts) it consists of two different notes a fourth apart. Sometimes it is: bum bum-um bum-bum. The first bum is the lower note. There are slight variations. I ignored it for about an hour thinking it was a bass guitar on someone's car stereo.

Any ideas?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 6, 2012, 02:39 PM
    Does the humming change any when you flush or run water? Let me know, Tom
    bubba louie Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2012, 07:19 PM
    The humming also drives me crazy. I only hear it in my home so I know it is not tinnitus. The odd thing is I only hear it in cold weather. I live in Michigan.I hear it as soon as the weather turns cool. I would assume it is the furnace or humidifier but I can hear it before we turn the furnace on. I was wondering if it might be the temperature of the water coming into my home. In summer the water is not nearly as cold as it is in winter. I have been hearing this noise for years from fall to spring.

Nov 9, 2012, 07:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba louie View Post
    The humming also drives me crazy. I only hear it in my home so I know it is not tinnitus. The odd thing is I only hear it in cold weather. I live in Michigan.I hear it as soon as the weather turns cool. I would asume it is the furnace or humidifier but I can hear it before we turn the furnace on. I was wondering if it might be the temperature of the water coming into my home. In summer the water is not nearly as cold as it is in winter. I have been hearing this noise for years from fall to spring.
    Forgot to add that it is constant I only hear it at night when the house is quiet but I hear it all night and in the morning when I wake up
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 9, 2012, 07:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba louie View Post
    Forgot to add that it is constant I only hear it at night when the house is quiet but I hear it all night and in the morning when I wake up
    Is there industry near you? Some industry has been asked to change hours of operation so to conserve energy on the grid. The changes are seasonal.

Nov 12, 2012, 11:08 AM
    There is no industry near me, lots of retail. But, thanks
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 12, 2012, 01:04 PM
    The Hum is world wide. Google it and see, Tom
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Nov 23, 2012, 08:13 PM
    Hi,

Ok,you say you are on a gas line,what about the diaphragm (sp? It's how the spell check responded) on the gas meter?

There are so many different people with this post it's hard to single out any one of them.. has anyone made their own post so we can reduce the responses to one question at a time? If not,please do.
    sherilb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2013, 02:31 PM
    To Darhnum11, Did you ever resolve the problem? I am experiencing the same issue. I have spent hours on the internet, and all that is written are suggestions, but I don't see any posts etc. with anyone saying "Yes, that worked". I have had electrician, cable company, heating company etc. No bees, pests, etc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Humming house [ 2 Answers ]

Our new home that we built started humming after an AC adjustment. It is low ptched and intermittent and drives me crazy. My husband cannot hear it and like rattling autos, it won't hum when someone is here who can hear well. We moved in 10 months ago and this is new. I hear it at night when...

Humming Noise in House [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been searching on Internet for some answers to the new "humming, pulsating sound that has begun to plague my house and cause me countless sleepless nights for the past three to four months. Like some of the other responders, I have turned all the power off to the house to see if that is...

Strange Humming in House [ 2 Answers ]

70stang - I have this same humming sound in my home. I hear it at night when I go to bed but I do not hear in the morning or during the day. I live in a rural location far away from any industrial or mechanical area. I have gone to different rooms and the sound is there. At first I thought it might...

Humming sound in house [ 3 Answers ]

I have reviewed the other questions in regards to the humming sound, but have not been able to apply them to my home situation. I live in a condo with 3 units (side by side), one floor. At about 3:00 am in the morning I hear this "humming" type of sound, and sometimes during the day a "light...

House Humming- Need Advice [ 2 Answers ]

I am having the same problem as others with a low frequency hum. I want to try your remedy with the toilet, but I am very unfamiliar with the different parts. Would you mind explaining it all to me in a way I could understand - someone who has never worked with toilet. Where is the ballcock and the...

View more questions Search