Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JerryN Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2011, 10:02 AM
    insulating 2x3 studs on finished basement
    So I bought a house where the basement is finished but later found out during this past winter which was very very cold that there was no insulation in the basement. I circled back to the previous owner and he said he build the basement with 2x3, without any insulation. It's not inhabitable in the winter months, too cold. What is my best and least expensive option for insulating this basement?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2011, 01:44 PM
    If the studs are covered with drywall, it will be a difficult task without ripping out the drywall. Is there any access behind the wall?
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2011, 05:34 PM
    You ca blow loose insulation into the webs between the studs,making holes above the ceiling(if you can access there) and blowing down the openings,the white insulation doesn't settle like the older mica chips did and keeps things quite warm.I did this for a 100+ year old home from the outside in the winter,the heating bill more than halved after I finished)

Any more thought or comments are most welcome,:)

KBC

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does it matter 2x3 or 2x4 studs [ 5 Answers ]

Am framing my basement with metal studs. There are no laod bearing considerations. Is there a problem if I use 2 x 3 metal studs instead of 2x4.

Insulating finished basement walls [ 1 Answers ]

I live in northeastern Ohio and my house was built in 1945 (basement is cinder-block). We have cold winters and a lot of snow. My basement is finished and dry walled. The basement has been water proofed in the past and moisture no longer enters the house. However, the basement is freezing! Does...

Insulating behind finished basement walls [ 0 Answers ]

I live in northeastern Ohio and so we have some pretty cold and snowy winters. My basement is finished and dry walled. The basement has been water proofed in the past and moisture no longer enters the house. However, the basement is freezing! Does anybody know if I can insulate behind the...

Insulating a basement [ 1 Answers ]

I have a newer house that I am going to finish the basement. When my house was built they insulated and vapour barrer half way down my basement walls, is it necasarry to insulate the bottom half if it is below ground level or can I get away without it Thanks to all that repond

Insulating Basement [ 6 Answers ]

Are there any alternatives to insulating a basement with cement walls besides insulating all the walls with 3 inch fiberglass?

View more questions Search