Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 31, 2011, 10:23 PM
    Thinking about breeding your pet? Please read.
    For anyone that's thinking of breeding their dog, cat or rabbit, please read this first.

This is a plea. Please read it. If it changes your mind, then lives will be saved, and all the effort to write this post was worth it.

A dog's average litter is 5 puppies. That's not a lot is it? I'm sure you have people who have already asked for one of your puppies. I'm sure that you're a responsible dog owner and you love your pet. Well, once those 5 puppies are born that means that there are 5 less homes out there, so 5 dogs have to die. Why you ask? Well, it's simple. There are too many dogs and not enough homes. Five million dogs die in shelters every year in the US alone because of backyard breeding and puppy mills. Backyard breeders are people just like you, people with pets that they love. People who just want one litter, or just want to make a bit of extra money. That doesn't change the outcome. Five dogs born means five won't find a home, and they'll be put to sleep. Five dogs are born, five dogs die.

Here are 5 dogs in my local shelter right now. If you decide to breed, they, or ones just like them, will die.

Attachment 35789

Attachment 35790

Attachment 35791

Attachment 35792

Attachment 35793

Are you willing to go to the shelter, hold these dogs while the needle goes in, while they take their last breath? If so, then I will not speak against your desire to breed. If you can honestly say you wouldn't have a problem with ending their lives, then ask your question, and I won't lecture.

Are you angry now? Do you want to yell at me because it's your dog, your right to breed, you aren't part of the problem, you're just one person? Are you? I can understand why you feel that way. After all, you're having only one litter right?
    Surely one litter doesn't make that big a difference. Here's the reality. Five million dogs killed in shelters every year in the US alone. The majority of those dogs were born to that one litter, a litter just like yours. So ask yourself. Why are you angry at me? Are you angry because you realize that I'm speaking the truth? Are you angry because I showed you the faces of the dogs that will die if you breed and you didn't want to see that because they make it real?
    Pets Expert

Mar 31, 2011, 10:25 PM

This isn't just a dog issue. If you think the number of dogs euthanized each year is astounding, well, rabbits beat that number. More rabbits are euthanized then dogs and cats put together. Do the numbers, that's a very large number.

But people love bunnies, don't they? They're adorable. Easter is right around the corner, wouldn't it be so cute to get the kids a baby rabbit? Well, 6 months later that cute little rabbit is sexually mature, he's aggressive, and he's spraying all over. You could get him neutered but the average cost is $300! You didn't plan on that when you bought him at the local pet store, so you take him to the shelter. Worse, she's so cute; why not just have one litter? You have friends that would love a baby bunny. Easter is around the corner; you could make some extra money.

Here are 5 rabbits in my shelter today. Same deal as the dogs. If you want to breed your rabbit, and you can honestly tell me that you have no problem with these 5 rabbits dying because of your choice, then I won't lecture. I'll give you advice, and let you do what you want, no matter how much I'm against it. Be completely honest with yourself, though. I'm speaking the truth here. One litter means death for these rabbits, or five just like them.

Attachment 35794

Attachment 35795

Attachment 35796

Attachment 35797

Attachment 35798
    Pets Expert

Mar 31, 2011, 10:27 PM

Moving on to cats. Kittens are adorable. Who doesn't love a kitten? Their big clumsy feet, their frolicking ways, and the little noises they make. They reach sexual maturity and many of the males will spray. Neutering or spaying isn't cheap, and times are tough, so you let your female roam the neighborhood unfixed and she comes home pregnant. Your cat is so unique, so precious, what's one litter? There are friends and family that would love a kitten.

Here are 5 cats in my shelter right now. Is it okay if they die because you want a litter, or you're too irresponsible to keep your unaltered female indoors while she's in heat? If their death is all right with you, ask your question. Again, I won't judge.

Attachment 35799

Attachment 35800

Attachment 35801

Attachment 35802

Attachment 35803

I'm sure a lot of you will read this thread and be very angry that I dare tell you what to do with your pet. That's not what I'm doing. I'm simply pointing out the reality of your actions. Just one litter means death to an animal that's already on this earth in need of a home. Just one litter is all it takes. To you it's just one litter. To those of us working in rescue and trying to find homes for these poor animals, that one litter means death to 5 animals we care for, 5 animals we hope find their forever homes, 5 animals we've grown to love, that are worthy of love and life. Five animals already here. The litter you're thinking about having isn't here yet. If you do breed, the odds are good that at least one of your litter will end up in a shelter. One of your litter will be on death row while even more people breed irresponsibly. It's a vicious cycle.

You have a choice; it's yours and yours alone. If you are angry ask why? Are you really angry at me?

This is the reality check. If one person reads this and decides not to breed their pet, then whatever anger you have for me will be worth it. If just one dog owner, one cat owner, and one rabbit owner decide not to breed because of this post, all the animals whose pictures I posted will live.

It's in your hands to save their lives. It's your choice. What will it be?
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Apr 1, 2011, 09:24 AM

Alty I so could become a pet hoarder and adopt all of those animals. I would be the hoarder though that would go without and my pets have everything they needed.

I so want to get another pet but hubby says no (I lost my Degu Socky this week). /cry

I agree to what you said about breeding. The expense should also be mentioned. I was shocked this week when I was telling someone about Owen's elbow and the need for surgery. They responded with "that is when you drop them off at a shelter" *** OMG I was so enraged. I guess some people are animal lovers until it costs money. A good breeder has in the contract that if you no longer want the dog or are not looking after them properly they have the right to take the dog back. Are these "Breeders" prepared to have the whole litter stay with them?

There are more expenses than that : I know someone has posted on what the mom needs, and what happens if she can't nurse. Lets not forget the testing for genetic problems so that you are not passing down health issues to the puppys.

Owen and Susan.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jun 20, 2012, 06:11 AM
    Just wanted to add this pic!
    Attached Images

Pets Expert

Jun 20, 2012, 04:57 PM
    Great post Bella. I hope people read it and decide not to breed.
    Pugana Posts: 17, Reputation: 0

Aug 15, 2012, 09:09 PM
    It is not about money. I don't have a child. Even more I cannot have a child. So I cannot take away from my girl to become a mother:( I have 5 more month to think about that. You cannot write like that because everyone has a reason of it. Sorry... However thanks for your advise
    Pets Expert

Aug 15, 2012, 09:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Pugana View Post
    it is not about money. I don't have a child. Even more I cannot have a child. So I cannot take away from my girl to become a mother:( I have 5 more month to think about that. You cannot write like that because everyone has a reason of it. Sorry... However thanks for your advise
    See, this is where you're wrong.

I cannot take away from my girl to become a mother
    This is a dog, not a human being. Dogs don't long to be mothers like humans do. Dogs don't yearn to have a bundle of joy to take care of. For dogs it's a purely instinctual thing, for humans it's a matter of longing. Your dog doesn't need to be a mother to feel whole.

The fact is, even if she did feel the need to be a mother, which she doesn't, you're not letting her make the choice, you're forcing her to do what you want her to do. That's another human trait, getting what you want despite what's best for the dog.

I won't talk you out of breeding, it's obvious your mind is made up, but really, your dog has absolutely no desire to have puppies. So, if you go forward with this at least be honest with yourself, you're not doing it for her, you're doing it for yourself, despite her health, or the health of dogs already on this earth.

You should also know that many dogs die during pregnancy or delivery, and many puppies die as well. If you're still willing to go forward you have to be prepared that you may lose your dog because of this choice. Also be prepared to spend thousands of dollars in vet bills, not only during the pregnancy, but if something should go wrong, she needs an emergency c-section, or many other things that can happen. Start saving now, you'll need to have that money in the bank just in case.

Edit: I just read your other post. Your puppy is only 4 months old? That's scary, since you stated you have 5 months to think about breeding her. At 9 months she'll be way too young to have puppies. Way way too young. So you better save up even more money, and put some aside for cremation too, because this likely won't end well.

Aug 16, 2012, 10:24 AM
    I never thought about that dog doesn't need to be a mother:)) interesting... I'm happy to hear that. Thank you... I thought it was her choice like all normal woman:)) I love my girl and wish everything the best to her... thank you

Aug 16, 2012, 10:35 AM
    No I mean she is now 4 month and I have to spay her at 9 month. I'm not so stupid as you think:)) I just won't the best for her...
    Pets Expert

Aug 16, 2012, 03:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Pugana View Post
    I never thought about that dog doesn't need to be a mother:)) interesting...i'm happy to hear that. Thank you..... I thought it was her choice like all normal woman:)) i love my girl and wish everything the best to her....thank you
    You're welcome.

If you look in the wild, at all animals, the only reason animals have babies is to continue the species. Sadly, once human beings stepped in, started controlling when certain animals have babies, started forcing them to breed, the population exploded, and the only ones that ended up suffering were the animals.

An un-spayed female dog runs the risk of uterine cancer, and many other cancers. Most un-spayed female dogs die long before their time. Many dogs die during pregnancy, or delivery.

I can tell that you love your dog. I do think you haven't fully educated yourself on the topic of breeding, or even dog behavior. That's one thing we're more than happy to help you with.

I'm not against breeding, if it's done by registered breeders, with healthy dogs, that are monitored very well by vets and experts during the breeding and pregnancy. But what you're thinking about doing can end very badly for your little girl.

If you truly want the best for her get her spayed when she's 6 months of age. It will prolong her life. As a human being be happy that you now have a fur baby. Your baby doesn't have to have babies to be happy, she has you, and that's all she needs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pet rent and pet deposit for medical companion [ 4 Answers ]

If you have a companion dog for medical reasons and live in a pet friendly apartment complex, by law are they allowed to charge monthly pet rent and a pet security deposit?

Pregnant and thinking of adopting a pet. [ 4 Answers ]

My hubby and I were thinking of adopting a pet when we move next month. I haven't had a pet since my dog 4 years ago. And his cat of 11 years passed away back in September. Until now I had moved too often to think about a pet, and he had a hard time thinking about Mystic not being around. We have a...

View more questions Search