Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DeRek16 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2007, 07:12 PM
    1991 Honda Civic DX won't stay running
    My Honda Civic is having problems staying running.
    When this first started I was driving up a very slight hill and my vehicle started losing power and began to do a pulling action. It then completely died, as in engine and lights and everything. I managed to get it to an area where I could turn it around and rolled it down to a stop sign. I then tried starting it but nothing at all would turn on. I popped the hood to look at things and opened my door, at first it didn't give me the warning that my keys were still in the ignition but before I could get completely around to the hood I heard it beep softly then quickly to full sound. I then got back in the vehicle and attempted to start it. It would start and run very briefly then die. We towed it back to my house where I got the ECU re-soldered. But it still isn't running.

I checked all the spark plugs and they are fine. I also bought a Haynes repair manual on the civic and when I tried to check the ignitor in the distributor. The distributor in the car didn't match with the one in the manual and I was unable to locate the ignitor.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2007, 08:07 PM
    Methodically, go through the tests outlined in sections A and B below:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...ics-46563.html

These tests have helped many others solve some of the most perplexing problems Hondas encounter. Also, be sure and check the ignition switch. It may even be the cause of your problem. Keep me posted.

Jan 24, 2007, 06:28 PM
    I checked all the spark plugs and they are fine. I also bought a Haynes repair manual on the civic and when I tried to check the ignitor in the distributor. The distributor in the car didn't match with the one in the manual and I was unable to locate the ignitor.
    queball Posts: 34, Reputation: 2

Jan 24, 2007, 09:32 PM
    If you had to get the ECU re-sodered, sounds like you had a big electrical problem and need to check all of your wires, make shure none are melted. I may not have as much exp as greese monkey but I have been trained in automotive repair and sometimes know what I am talking about.
    Vandy-1 Posts: 99, Reputation: 6

Jan 25, 2007, 01:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by queball
    If you had to get the ECU re-sodered, sounds like you had a big electrical problem and need to check all of your wires, make shure none are melted. I may not have as much exp as greese monkey but I have been trained in automotive repair and sometimes know what I am talkin bout.

Really?

Jan 25, 2007, 02:44 PM
    Like I said," I sometimes know what I'm talkin about" but I only offer my opinion.

Jan 29, 2007, 08:54 PM
    All right I messed around with it for a few days then finally took it to a mechanic. The mechanic told me that one of the pistons had no compression and that I needed a new engine. If you could give me any advice as to whether I should get a new car or try and find a new engine that would really help. Also If you could tell me where I could find a good engine for this Honda. Thanks

Jan 31, 2007, 10:08 AM
    To find out if you should get a new car vs. a new engine, first look up the kelly blue book value of car, base private sale price for this car is about $1600 in "good" condition. In "Poor" condition, which it is now it is still worth around $1000. Now, if you want to get a new engine you could start by looking in junk yards, if you want to fix it cheep, but, these engines are not reliable and are not warentied. A new engein could run you more than $2500 or more, especially if you have a mechanic put it in for you. And, if it were me, I would look at the condition of the rest of the car before going with a new engine, if the rest of the car is in really good condition, then it would be worth it for me to do the new engine.
    91civicdx Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2007, 09:25 PM
    You could always try getting a honda motor shipped from japan they are like 500 shipped to your front door with a 3 month warntty

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1991 Honda Civic [ 15 Answers ]

I have a problem with my 91 Honda Civic. The ECU codes are 1, 6, 7, and 17. I can start the car fine. After running about 3-4 minutes just idling it begins to seem to choke for fuel. Giving it more gas will help, but it still wants to sputter. If I drive it after starting it it will run fine...

1991 Honda Civic [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 1991 Honda Civic,4 Cylinder, Standard 5 Speed Transmission, 4-Door, not an SI, with 95,000 miles on it. I just recently purchased it. It will crank but will not start. I have a friend who is a mechanic, and he has been trying to get it running for me (for free) but I am getting...

1991 honda civic dx [ 1 Answers ]

thank you for the replies to my previous question. I do intend to change the trany fluid n filter. There's sum minor things that need to be done like new plugs n wires. I've noticed a small missfire in a cylinder but no biggie. I've tried searchin the net but haven't had good luck finding what the...

1991 honda civic dx [ 1 Answers ]

OK, just bought a honda civic dx, excellent shape and condition. I've noticed it shifts a little lazy... does that have anything to do with the shift lock release on the shifter? What exactly is the shift lock release?

View more questions Search