Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    needinput Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2011, 05:45 PM
    Is it OK for my wife to have single guy friends but has no married guy friends?
    Is it OK for my wife to have single guy friends and no married ones. They Facebook and text each other some are at the bar when she goes linedancing
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2011, 05:58 PM

If you trust her and she is open about who her friends are, then it is fine. If she were hiding things, or it causes you to worry, then you need to talk to her about it. It isn't always a case of whether it is OK or not, it is how the individuals feel about the circumstances involved.

Is she spending a great amount of time talking to them or is it just now and then?

Have you met any of these guys? Do you go dancing with her sometimes? Maybe it would help if you got to know them as well.
    needinput Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2011, 06:13 PM
    She hides her texted and deletes Facebook posts. As for trust its hard to because of something's that happened with her in the past.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Apr 1, 2011, 06:12 AM

If there are past issues that are affecting the current relationship, then you might look into marriage counseling.

In general, friends of any gender or sexual orientation are fine as long as both partners are open about the friendships and respectful of the partner's feelings. It doesn't mean that every communication has to be announced, but communications should not be hidden or secretive. The only time being secretive is okay is planning a surprise.

Specific to your situation, has she ever been open about these friends? Has she ever tried to include you in the friendships? How have you reacted to any of their messages or just knowing about the communications? Have you kept the door open so that she can share these friends with you? Have you discussed your feelings with her or have you tried telling her what to do and who she can be friends with? Could you both be over-reacting in the way you are handling these friendships because of past issues?

It sounds like you both need to sit down with no distractions and no confrontations and discuss the issues. Be open about how you feel and why, but also listen to her side and find out what is going on from her. Once it is all on the table, work out boundaries that both of you can live within. Those boundaries might include being more open about communicating with friends and no more hiding messages if they are supposed to be innocent. If you can't work it out on your own or would feel more comfortable with a neutral party mediating the exchange, look into marriage counseling.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 2, 2011, 05:20 PM

If you cannot trust her through talking then you will never trust her. Maybe she hides things to avoid you confronting her, I don't know, but for sure talking can shed some light on the truth.

For sure, NOT talking will only make things much worse.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you tell a guy you are only friends? [ 5 Answers ]

OK, I work with this guy, who I consider just a friend, and he has fallen for me, I am disgusted, how do I tell him to stop it; thecalls, texts, I miss you's, gifts, etc. I have told him we are only friends and he does not get it! There has not been any kissing or sex invloved

Should my wife be friends with this guy? [ 12 Answers ]

My wife is friends with a guy. They met about 10 years ago at the gym, he's from our area, and have friends in common. I never met him, though he knows of me. He is also married. My issues are: I've never met him, and when he and my wife met at the gym to work out, my wife asked him if his...

How to let the guy know that I want to be friends with benefits [ 25 Answers ]

Hey, How do I let this guy know that I want to sleep with him occasionally but just like be friends with benefits. How do I let him know that, that I just want that? Thanks

Wife gets mad when I ask her about her Guy friends [ 10 Answers ]

My wife gets angry when I ask her about her Guy friend whom are mostly exes and even one she had an affair with. She really gs mad when I ask if she talks to him and I see his phone number on the bills and she has his email address but never any email to read cause she deletes them AM I in trouble...

Guy Friends [ 16 Answers ]

Okay I want to get more guy friends.Not boyfriends but GUy friends.I have all sorts of chick friends but I want some guy friends too.All the great guys are popular and have girlfriends(drama) and a lot of the others are just aren't that fun to be around.They either rank as pervs, crybabys, or act...

View more questions Search